lager question

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

lager question

#1 Post by jeffvineyard » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:19 am

My lagering "cellar" got unplugged this week and my batch got to who knows what temp. What will this do to flavor?
If you brew it they will come

meisel
Craft Brewer

Re: lager question

#2 Post by meisel » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Depends on the stage of fermentation when the temp began to ramp upward. If two-thirds of the fermentables were already consumed, it will have less of an affect than if only a third of fermentables were consumed. More yeast activity/reproduction at higher temps will mean more esters and fusel by-products. It will likely be drinkable, but may lack the typical crisp, clean lager flavor you are looking for.
The usefulness of opinion is itself matter of opinion.
Primum Brewery

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:43 pm

meisel wrote:Depends on the stage of fermentation when the temp began to ramp upward. If two-thirds of the fermentables were already consumed, it will have less of an affect than if only a third of fermentables were consumed. More yeast activity/reproduction at higher temps will mean more esters and fusel by-products. It will likely be drinkable, but may lack the typical crisp, clean lager flavor you are looking for.

ditto.

As long as the majority of early fermentation was completed at lower temps things are quite salvageable. An early stage diacetyl rest is what happened hopefully. If you can, put it to bed at colder temps for a few weeks, take a sample and see where the beer is at. Might not be the target you were looking for as meisel said, but i bet a good drinking beer none the less.

Baron Ken
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Baron Ken » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:40 am

jeffvineyard wrote:... What will this do to flavor?
Make it incredibly great tasting and near impossible to duplicate! :P

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#5 Post by jeffvineyard » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info guys. One great thing about this club is the excellent knowledge base. This is the reason I drive to lawrence for meetings.

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#6 Post by jeffvineyard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:04 pm

I tried my batch today and picked up heavy notes of fusels. What happened? Oh well try,try,try again.

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Jensen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:11 pm

jeffvineyard wrote:My lagering "cellar" got unplugged this week and my batch got to who knows what temp.

Well, guess we now know those temps were probably a bit too high... I wouldn't give up on a batch just yet, unless it was outright infected... time and\or blending sometimes heals deep wounds. If keg space isn't a problem I'd let it ride out a cold lagering faze for another few weeks then cold store in a keg for a while... take good notes on perceptions and time lines of this beer... could be helpful down the road.

meisel
Craft Brewer

#8 Post by meisel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:16 am

meisel wrote:More yeast activity/reproduction at higher temps will mean more esters and fusel by-products.
this
The usefulness of opinion is itself matter of opinion.
Primum Brewery

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#9 Post by jeffvineyard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 am

Jensen mentioned that time will help.I have noticed this with some of my ales, especially my imperial coffee stout. What is the process by which this happens? Does the yeast metabolize the higher alcohols even without the presence of O2?