September was quite a grind

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

September was quite a grind

#1 Post by Jensen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Clint & I have gone the whole month of September without Brewing :oops: . I think this may be a record. That is not to say we haven't been busy though:

Spins at 255rpm, with the 40 pound hopper (straight from scale to mill) feeding the Malt Mill at a consistent gravity feed & rate level, dropping into the trash can inside the cabinet. Sure does beat chucking up a drill each time! :thumbright:

Bill
Brewmaster

Re: September was quite a grind

#2 Post by Bill » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:19 pm

details man, details!
1) what motor is it
2) where did you get it
3) what size sheaves did you use
4) where did you get them
5) did you custom build the hopper

and it's looking awesome! I can't tell the mill brand, but I know that Barley Crusher advises against using a pulley driven system and suggests using a direct-drive system. Not sure what the theory is behind that. I know plenty of people w/ pulley systems and have never had an issue.

Good work men! Now put it to good use!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

brick
Craft Brewer

#3 Post by brick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmm weird coincidence or is it just a Yellowstone thing? September is the 1st month since I started brewing that I did not brew at least once.

Brick

Blktre
BrewLegend

#4 Post by Blktre » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:56 pm

That's one heck of a scale!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Jensen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Bill wrote:details man, details!
1) what motor is it
2) where did you get it
3) what size sheaves did you use
4) where did you get them
5) did you custom build the hopper

and it's looking awesome! I can't tell the mill brand, but I know that Barley Crusher advises against using a pulley driven system and suggests using a direct-drive system. Not sure what the theory is behind that. I know plenty of people w/ pulley systems and have never had an issue.

Good work men! Now put it to good use!

The mill is a JSP Malt Mill. Bought it new in 1996, the 26th made that year, off Compuserve, (remember that?)- direct from MFG, adjustable & gear driven. Not a damn problem with the mill in 13 years. And it does get used a bit... ($149)

The motor is from Harbor Freight. Half horse-power, cap start, 1725 rpm. ($69)

Sheaves and pillow blocks are from Patchen Electic. Drive 1.75"; mill 12", 4L 65inch belt. ($55)

3/4" bar stock: lathed straight, milled for key stock to fit 3/4" mill sheave, bored and set screw tapped at other end to fit the 3/8" Malt Mill's nub. ($15- the most time on project)

The kitchen cabinet from the Re-Store ($5); and of course it is on casters. ($14)

The Hopper is a custom built 40lb capacity sheet metal masterpiece by a local sheet bender woman, who is a master bender, and probably doesn't want to take on any more projects like this for a while. ($ priceless).

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by Jensen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Blktre wrote:That's one heck of a scale!

Attention country folk!!!: We don't fool around here in the city. hopper goes on scale (uh, really not that big, well for most that is, Andy), all grains for batch are weighed in one container, and then that same container is set atop of mill and the switch is turned on. :wink:

twedelc
Homebrewer

#7 Post by twedelc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am

Our first for-real grain milling was last weekend. 25 lbs of grain were crushed in 6 minutes 53 seconds. About 3.6 lbs per minute. Except for the flick of the screen to get the last 20 grains to fall, it was completely hands off. I want to find a big red plunger button or an aircraft style (or NOs) covered toggle for an on/off switch. For now the keg/carboy washer foot switch will do double duty. :)
_________________________________/
My Beer Page