Cider time

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Cider time

#1 Post by Jensen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:48 pm

The prez and the first dude made some cider today. We took 11 gallons of Rees farms cider in Topeka, and brought to between 160-165, added yeast nutrient, and kept at this temp for 30 minutes. Chilled and added a few grams of pectin enzyme. We then oxygenated the heck out of the carboys-- unlike beer you can flood as much o2 as you like with out worrying about foam overs (within reason of coursre).. Added a few packs of wyeast's cider yeast. Looking forward to a few weeks from now!

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

Re: Cider time

#2 Post by jeffvineyard » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:05 pm

I did some of the same rees cider last week except I used five gallons of cider, eight lbs of fresh apples and two lbs of cranberries. I used whatever wine yeast it was kramer gave me, I think it was pasteur. I added pectic enzyme and campden. Let it rest and pitched. Well see how it turns out.
If you brew it they will come

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 am

I bet those cranberrys will add some nice tartness. We are going to add raspberries to one of the carboys after a few weeks. On the 8 lbs of fresh apples that you added, did you juice those before adding them?

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#4 Post by jeffvineyard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:49 am

This time I didn't juice them per se. I cubed them and froze them. I then added pectic enzyme and thawed them in the primary. The ice crystals do a good job of breaking the cell walls and allow the pectic enzyme to do its job. After primary I will squeeze the hop bag that the apples and cranberries are in. This is a method recomended to me by a winemaker, says he does it all the time.
Raspberries sound like a nice touch, can't wait to sample.

Matt
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Damn. Both of you are making me thirsty.

Some nice techniques going on. I'm definitely taking notes for next time. A perfect cider is still my own personal White Whale. S'alright. I'm persistent. :)

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

cog_nate
Homebrewer

#6 Post by cog_nate » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Interstellar Galactic Brewery made a batch of cyser last weekend.

10 gallons of pasteurized Louisburg cider and one gallon of honey. Pitched onto an active mead yeast cake.

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#7 Post by jeffvineyard » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:48 pm

I always thought cyser sounded interesting. Does it take on more of the cider or mead flavor? How long does it age before serving?

crane

#8 Post by crane » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 pm

hey first dude,
you have anymore cider yeast? is it dickens?
crane