Keg/Carboy Washer Build

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jdl973
Brewmaster

Keg/Carboy Washer Build

#1 Post by Jdl973 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Inspired by Mr. Jensen at the last meeting, had to build a Keg/Carboy washer to set me free from the drudgery of cleaning kegs and carboys by hand.

Parts list.

1 HP Sump pump, Harbor Freight = $39

From Lowes

3/4" x 5' S40 PVC Pipe Plain = $1.02
1 1/2" SCH40 ADAPTER 4350 = $0.93
3/4" SCH40 TEE 402007 = $0.66
4" DWV X S&D ADAPTER = $4.56
3/4" SCH40 90 DEGREE ELBOW 406007 X 2 = $0.46
3/4" X 1/2" SCH40 TEE 402 = $0.55
1/2 CXM ADAPTER COPPER = $0.97
NYLN BARXMIP L3/8X1/2 = $1.88
3/8"X3/8" 8HOS B T = $1.84

7 GAL BUCKET W/LID = HAD ONE
PVC CLEANER = HAD
PVC GLUE = HAD

TOTAL = $51.87

One thing I found helpful was to dry fit the assembly and put pen marks (blue lines) on both sides of each piece, so after getting everything square, I could take it apart and glue it at the right angles.

Cut hole in top of bucked. 4" Reducer coupler fits a keg perfectly.

Everything was centered:

Cut holes for Ball Locks

Tomorrow will hook up the tubing for the pin locks (will put quick connects to change from ball to pin locks), copper cleaning tube and switch. Forgot to put hole for power cord so will have to cut that as well.

Jason
BEFORE THERE WAS MATHEMATICS, RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY OR CULTURE...THERE WAS BEER.

In Primary:............. None (how sad is that?)
In Secondary:..........None...see above
On Tap: ..........Barley Wine from 2006, BGSA from 2006...

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Re: Keg/Carboy Washer Build

#2 Post by Jensen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Looking good Jason, is there a spray wand with lots of holes that rises into keg/carboy, or does the copper fitting just shoot up there?

Bierdog
Little Beer

#3 Post by Bierdog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks for the Post.

I missed the meeting......my loss. The pictures and materials list is really a big help.

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Jdl973 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Yes there will be a spray, actual 2 of them, one for kegs and one for carboys. Just ran out of time last night. Will post pics when it is done.

Jason

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Jdl973 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Made a spray wand out of copper and drilled a hole in the top and a bunch of smaller holes in the sides

Added the plumbing for the keg attachments. Used a T off of the main flow.

Added some water and tested it. Used the float valve as and on/off switch. Worked great!

The 1hp pump puts out a ton of pressure.

This is what I used before to clean my stuff, now I will used it to "knock out" the big chunks of stuff before using the washer. This just connects to my garden house.

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Jdl973 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Another use for the keg/carboy washer... put a plug on the top of you washer, add some connectors and it can be used to clean out your Jox Box

This is one of the coolest and useful things I have built...

Jason

Baron Ken
Homebrewer

#7 Post by Baron Ken » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Currently, this pump is on sale for $40 at Harbor Freight.
1.2 HP, 3700 GPH Dirty Water Submersible Pump with Float
Similar to the one Jason used, but doesn't have the stainless bling to it. :P

Picked one up during lunch today. Will get the rest of the parts and have a project for this weekend. :)

EDIT: Oh, and the cashier told me he would take 20% off if I got the warranty. Price after getting warranty: $38. Not sure how they made money on that deal. :lol:

sam
Homebrewer

#8 Post by sam » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Nice addition with the jockey box set up. I built my washer about a month ago. Would not be without one now. I will have to make some modifications to wash the jockey box since it's a three hole'r, not a two.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Matt
Uberbrewer

#9 Post by Matt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 pm

I have had my sump pump and bucket sitting in the shop waiting to be converted into a keg washer for like, FOREVER. I gotta check that parts list and get it finished up this month.

Got mine for like $30 at Harbor Freight too. I can't wait to get it working and never have to wash a keg, carboy or jocky box by hand ever again.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Baron Ken
Homebrewer

#10 Post by Baron Ken » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Jdl973 wrote:Yes there will be a spray, actual 2 of them, one for kegs and one for carboys. Just ran out of time last night. Will post pics when it is done.

Jason
What is the difference in the 2 spray wands (poles)?

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#11 Post by Jdl973 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:05 am

I experimented with different size of holes in the "wands" and also the placement of the holes on the wand. The goal was to get the high pressure steams where the "gunk" line was on the carboy. I wound up using a wand with holes at the tip and at the base. I think they were 1/32th holes.

I use one wand for both kegs and carboys. Works real well. Cleaned 3 carboys today in about 2-1/2 hr, set up the keg washer, fired it up and came back about every 45 min to change the carboys out.

Jason

Matt
Uberbrewer

#12 Post by Matt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm FINALLY getting around to finishing my keg washer, and plan to fire it up this week to clean a few dirty kegs that have been seriously neglected. They need new poppets and everything, so I figured I'd just wait until this keg washer was finished and take care of them all in one go.

Just one quick question: How full do you fill your buckets with water/pbw solution before starting, and how many kegs (on average) can you get through before the solution is too dirty to effectively do the job? Do you find you need to pre-rinse them before sticking them on the washer, so as to keep the wash water as clean as possible? Or do you just put them straight on? I'm a clean freak when it comes to my brewing, so sometimes I need people to talk me down a little when trying new techniques.

Also, if you only have a couple kegs to wash, do you dump your wash water afterward, or leave it in the bucket for later use? How long will PBW solution keep? Will this damage the pump if it's sitting in PBW-water for long periods of time? I imagine it would, but I don't know for sure, so that's why I ask. It would be great to leave everything in the bucket and just fire it up when needed, but if I need to pull the pump out between uses and rinse it off, it's not that big of a hassle. Just thought I'd ask what others with these wonderful devices do when it comes to care and feeding, so I can enjoy my new toy for years to come.

Anybody want to chime in?
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#13 Post by Jensen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Here is what I do:

I always hose out the keg or carboy a couple of times to get all the loose goolies and crud that will readily come off-- else it'll be circ'n the whole time.

I use hot TAP water. Most pumps are thermo-protected. Over 160 they generally stop working, check your manufactures specs on that one.

I use one ounce PBW per gallon of water. More will NOT do a better job! I run 2-3 gal of liquid in the system at a time.

If doing more than 5 kegs, I'll run them all through once, drain, refill and do again.

I would not recommend leaving your pump sitting in a solution of PBW. It will eat through all sorts of gaskets if let sitting too long. I actually run clean water through my pump directly after using so that it is ready to store dry after use.

God I hope Tuck reads this. I just loaned him my washer yesterday!!! :shock:
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Matt
Uberbrewer

#14 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:39 am

Used my new keg washer this week and it worked like a champ! Knocked out 10 kegs in no time, rinsed, and sanitized before sealing them up and putting them on the shelf for ready use. Best of all: I did it inside, kept all but my hands dry, did absolutely zero scrubbing, and multi-tasked the whole time, getting website projects done at the same time. It was fantastic. 8)

Couple more quick questions:

How long on average do you guys run each keg on the washer to know it's good and clean? When I initially read Jason's account of 20 minutes per keg, it seemed rather long to me, but I quickly found myself letting them go quite a while as I'd get caught up in my multitasking. Just curious what everyone thinks is "long enough."

On the subject of pump storage, I know that Jensen says he runs water through his pump and then lets it dry out for storage... any other tips on storing my pump between uses, getting all of the water out of it to prevent rust/mineral build-up, etc? Would storing it submerged in a bucket of water be better? I know a couple of people who work with landscaping/water garden pumps, and they say you should store them in water to keep the seals from drying out and cracking. Of course, they're talking about seasons at a time, not weeks or months, so it's probably not an issue here. But hey, this is new territory for me.

Overall it was a cheap new toy to make, and I want to keep it that way by not having to buy replacement pumps and parts. :)

Oh, and I want to end this post with a little tip of my own.

On my sump pump, the float switch is on a fairly short cord, making it difficult to turn on and be sure it will stay on. So I found a simple solution to keep my float switch vertical so I can set it and forget it: a simple chain with a large S-hook on one end, and a small one on the other. The large S-hook slips over the rubber foot ridge on the inverted keg, and the small end wraps around the cord near the float switch "box" and hooks into the chain to make a loop that holds the float switch upright. Might be a useful tip for somebody out there.

I'm still working on a way to add improved "support" for carboys, so I won't have to worry about them tipping over and breaking. They're fairly stable right now, but I'd like to improve it if I can. Plus, my float switch chain has nothing to hook onto on a carboy. I'm thinking some kind of simple PVC "cage" that slips around the bucket and carboy to hold the carboy upright and could give my chain something to clip onto would be a cheap but effective way to go. Any better suggestions out there?

Thanks!
Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

jbame
Homebrewer

#15 Post by jbame » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Matt I took my float off my pump and wired it in on position and pluged power cord into power strip with switch. switch on swich off works good. justmy thought. carboy suport is a 2x8 2ft long with a 4in hole in center sits on top of buckett over washer tube carboy over tube works nice. or you could cut top out of lid for buckett and let carboy sit on lid both work well. Jack!