Do you grow hops?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

rushrich
Homebrewer

Do you grow hops?

#1 Post by rushrich » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 pm

I am trying to decide what kind of structure to use to grow hops and would love to see pictures of everyones setup (as well as estimated cost for materials if you remember).

In addition, if anyone knows of good resources for actual pictures and assembly instructions (on the web or in print) I would love those also. I already have Hombrewer's Garden and Homegrown Hops, they are nice, but not a lot of pictures/styles in them.
~Rich Greenwood~

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

Re: Do you grow hops?

#2 Post by Melonmon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Clint and Xan grow hops...

http://picasaweb.google.com/xwedel/Hops#

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Jdl973 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm

I grow hops. I just used twin and trained the hops to creep along my privacy fence. They will grow on anything and grow like a weed (cause they are one...). Make sure you have good draining soil.

Jason
BEFORE THERE WAS MATHEMATICS, RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY OR CULTURE...THERE WAS BEER.

In Primary:............. None (how sad is that?)
In Secondary:..........None...see above
On Tap: ..........Barley Wine from 2006, BGSA from 2006...

rushrich
Homebrewer

#4 Post by rushrich » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:17 pm

I should have said that I am going to try and grow 3-5 different kinds of hops.

Though that is an excellent idea, I don't know if that would work well for different hops b/c then you couldn't tell them apart (if they all grew together on the fence).

Thanks for the response though! :)
~Rich Greenwood~

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Joe Yoder » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 am

"grow like a weed (cause they are one...)" I take personal offense to this comment. A weed is a plant that has no useful purpose and invades gardens. Hops are a very useful plant. Maybe even my favorite (or a close second, anyway).
weed:
1 a (1) : a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth; especially : one that tends to overgrow or choke out more desirable plants
Joe

rushrich
Homebrewer

#6 Post by rushrich » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:04 pm

The term weed does seem to be thrown around a little too much. I would agree that hops and other similar plants are very usefull.

(Close second. . . . . ha ha ha . . . . I hear that!)
~Rich Greenwood~

Pissytiffy
Homebrewer

#7 Post by Pissytiffy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 pm

We have one nugget and three cascade rhizomes all planted in the spring/early summer of 2008. Ellen posted the link to our photo album previously (http://picasaweb.google.com/xwedel/Hops#) but we installed three 12' 4"x4" posts set with 3' spike anchors which are in concrete. Posts are 6' apart and have stabilizing 2'x6' cross supports. Two rhizomes were planted between each each set of posts. We train the hops to a V formation using twine (and a lot of pruning) which is cut after harvest each year.

All in all the structure wasn't that expensive and the twine is easily and cheaply replaced each season.

Good luck!