Jockey Box on the Cheap

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Kollman

Jockey Box on the Cheap

#1 Post by Kollman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:49 pm

My brewing partner Kurt and I have been making enough beer that we just can't decide on one beer to pour and swapping 5 gallon keg connections was starting to suck. Plus, we have started bringing homebrew to our flyfishing outings and ice was starting to eat a hole in the brewing budget. Looking around in the garage, talking to a few friends, and a trip to the hardware store helped me to solve the problem with a homemade jockey box.

I was supposed to sell this cooler in the garage sale this weekend, because we had two more that were similar, but it begged me to keep it around and repurpose it for something greater. I started off drilling three holes in the front with a paddle bit and my trusty cordless drill to insert the three taps I picked up from a little store out in Western, KS. Let’s just say I know a guy who gets stuff I need out of the trunk of a car or off the back of a truck. Two of them were $10 each and one was $15.

I then went to the local hardware store and priced metal tubing and quickly opted for this cheap waterline hose and quick connectors. 150' for $25 and the 6 connectors were $18.

I drilled 3 holes in the back of the cooler, epoxy them in and added a bit of kitchen & bathroom caulking to the inside to keep any water from getting in between the layers of the cooler.

I can now easily connect and disconnect my keg hoses to the jockey box and store them out of the way during transport. Yah, it isn't rocket science, but it all worked and I didn't get in trouble for not selling the cooler. I think my wife was almost impressed, but not enough to let me start on the beer cooler for the garage.
Last edited by Kollman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

sam
Homebrewer

Re: Jockey Box on the Cheap

#2 Post by sam » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Jamaican me tersty, brudda. We be hookin' dat up now! :bounce:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Blktre
BrewLegend

Re: Jockey Box on the Cheap

#3 Post by Blktre » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 am

Very slick indeed!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough