Weak bottles

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

bike2brew
Homebrewer

Weak bottles

#1 Post by bike2brew » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:57 pm

In a recent AHA TechTalk, Tom Hargrave (kegkits.com) says "None of today's pry off bottles are designed to be refilled.........." Is this true? Is it a real problem? Has anybody had any experiece with reused commercial bottles exploding? Or is he just trying to sell more kegs. Just wondering becuase right now reused commercial bottles is my main source of bottles and I haven't had anything explode yet.

Thanks
Support Independent Craft Breweries.

BJ1833
Little Beer

#2 Post by BJ1833 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:11 pm

I've had no problems. I think the only bottles I've had problems with are the ones I bought from a homebrew shop. They would get a hairline crack when I capped them, so when I opened it the neck would break.

Bill
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Bill » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 pm

Granted I've only bottled 3 batches (probably 150 or so), but all of them are commercial empties and 75% of them were bottles that I got from LBG peeps that looked older than I am, but i have never had any issues.
Considering the amount of abuse a commercial bottle undergoes when in transport from brewery to destination, I would say that they will stand up to another 1.5 to 4.5 volume of C02 from us.
Not to mention the bumpy trek from my fridge to Meetings in a cooler.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us