Cleaning a Dirty Blow Off Tube

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

BourbonDrinker
Craft Brewer

Cleaning a Dirty Blow Off Tube

#1 Post by BourbonDrinker » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:43 pm

I've got a REALLY dirty blow off tube and am trying to clean it... Any ideas? I know that a brush is no-no. I've tried rinsing (first), and oxy-clean (second), and an extended soaking (third)... Still a lot of sentiment that I can't shake loose.
Devin Zell
Head Drinker, BourbonDrinker.com

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

Re: Cleaning a Dirty Blow Off Tube

#2 Post by Rob Martin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Dude - if it is that dirty, throw it away. I'm not going to name names, but awhile back there was a person that kept bringing bad beers to the club. They were told by several people that the beers were spoiled. Came down to that this person would not throw out a uncleanable blow off hose. If it is to dirty to clean easily, pitch it and get a new one.

BourbonDrinker
Craft Brewer

#3 Post by BourbonDrinker » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:32 pm

That's what I thought the answer might be. Maybe it's time too that I look for a larger fermenter... Seems Like I brew a lot of stuff that has a lot of krausen...
Devin Zell
Head Drinker, BourbonDrinker.com

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by Jensen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm

BourbonDrinker wrote:That's what I thought the answer might be. Maybe it's time too that I look for a larger fermenter... Seems Like I brew a lot of stuff that has a lot of krausen...

If you build a carboy/keg washer like the one I did a seminar on, you have a built-in blow off hose cleaner (and all sorts of other brewery parts for that matter...) I have used the same hose for a dozen or so batches. Hook it up and run it with PBW pulsating through it's vein for ten minutes-- and she'll be whisper clean!
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by cyburai » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Rob Martin wrote:Dude - if it is that dirty, throw it away. I'm not going to name names, but awhile back there was a person that kept bringing bad beers to the club. They were told by several people that the beers were spoiled. Came down to that this person would not throw out a uncleanable blow off hose. If it is to dirty to clean easily, pitch it and get a new one.
I'm with Rob on this. Tubing is cheap to replace and easy to get. Especially blow off tubing.

It's not worth risking your time and effort to have a beer go bad because of a tube.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Jdl973 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:50 pm

I am with Rob and Sean (but Jeff has cool toys).

A batch of beer = $30-40
Price of 2 feet of tube = $2

That is simple math in my book... :idea:

I try to have 5-10 feet on hand. Stuff comes in very handy for lots of stuff

Just my $0.02

Jason.
BEFORE THERE WAS MATHEMATICS, RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY OR CULTURE...THERE WAS BEER.

In Primary:............. None (how sad is that?)
In Secondary:..........None...see above
On Tap: ..........Barley Wine from 2006, BGSA from 2006...

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Jensen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 pm

you guys change your racking hoses too every time? I certainly hope so. I go about a year on a racking hose-- that is quite a few batches... The biggest thing about blow off hoses is that you only need it for a few days. After initial blow-off-- foil, or an airlock, if you are one of those guys, is all you need. yeast do not like a lot of head pressure. The lesser they see the happier they are. Cleaning is a lot easier if you don't let the hose get all cruddy and crusty. It is this train of thought that will lead to recycling and rain barrels! :blackeye:

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#8 Post by Jensen » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 am

Rob Martin wrote:Dude - if it is that dirty, throw it away. I'm not going to name names, but awhile back there was a person that kept bringing bad beers to the club. They were told by several people that the beers were spoiled. Came down to that this person would not throw out a uncleanable blow off hose. If it is to dirty to clean easily, pitch it and get a new one.
okay...
Rob Martin wrote:Today I got around to working on this cracked lid. It is a plastic lid for the rice wine / sanke that some use for fermeters. Basically I used held a piece of sheet metal to the lid and torched it with a propane soldering torch. It melted the crack shut. I don't think it will have a lot of structural strength and probably would crack again if the lid was cranked on hard, but with a gentle turn, I'm satisfied enough to start using it again for the primary where there is enough CO2 positive pressure being created.
Wow a lot of work for a piece of plastic that comes into contact with your wort. All I am saying is a little effort (like you put into the lid) with the blow off, and your tight ass could save even more money. :lol:

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#9 Post by Rob Martin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Blow off hoses are too easy to replace. Next time you come across a spare lid, let me know.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2063