What to do when it's 99 degrees out? Brew at night of course

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

cyburai
Uberbrewer

What to do when it's 99 degrees out? Brew at night of course

#1 Post by cyburai » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Considering it's a heat index of 105 degrees right now, brewing outside isn't such a 'hot' idea.

But I need to get some beers done.

So I took a nap in the afternoon (getting ready to do it again), got up around 10pm, and got at it.

Overall, I actually liked it better than brewing in the afternoon or the morning. Less bugs for one, they seem to seek me out during the day. And the Honey Bees love coming by when I am brewing.

Finished up around 4am, including cleaning.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:41 pm

Now thats dedication........my nite brewing starts at 1800 and ends at midnite..........thanks for the pics!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by cyburai » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:29 am

I think desperation is a better term for it. I am working on the Lemon Grass Rye right now. Last night was the Honey Wheat.

Just started my boil, so I have a couple of hours left. I started a bit later tonight.

Compared to the 99 degrees it was today, brewing at 73 degrees this morning is a joy.

Guess I will have to hold off for bit, or buy more carboys. All of mine are full.

On a good note, the Honey Wheat (thanks Chuck) has already given birth to it's first blowoff. It's churning like crazy.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by cyburai » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:16 pm

Didn't make my numbers, but the wort tasted good on all 3 batches over the last week. Pretty happy regardless.

There are many happy little bubblers today.
~Cyburai / Sean

- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Greenblood » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:19 pm

Well done sir! And a big F-U to Kansas weather.
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."