AG Brewing in Cold Weather

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Travel by the Pint
Homebrewer

AG Brewing in Cold Weather

#1 Post by Travel by the Pint » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 am

The extended forecast is disappointing - especially given that we have 2 batches on the calendar for February.
The brewer's discomfort aside, what concerns should I have with brewing outside in cold temperatures? I'm sure I'll burn through more propane to get the mash and wort up to temperature, but could I inadvertently damage the burner (Blichman), or somehow adversely affect the wort if I brew at or slightly below freezing for part of the brew day?
-Sally

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

Re: AG Brewing in Cold Weather

#2 Post by Joe Yoder » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

We are brewing Saturday, heck its going to be 40 degrees!! Above freezing I don't have too many issues, but below freezing, there is always the concern of water freezing in hoses, chillers, etc. Propane usage certainly goes up. We are Natural Gas now, that helps as far as not having to deal with multiple bottles of Propane. Probably shouldn't ask Chuck what he does when temps are low (heating your propane tank with a torch, Chuck, really???!!)
Dressing in layers, all the usual winter stuff is even more important when you are dealing with water, etc.
Stay safe!
Joe

JMcG
Brewmaster

#3 Post by JMcG » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Find a sunny spot for your propane to help keep it from freezing up. Might want to keep it in a warm place the night before you brew.
jim

Travel by the Pint
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Travel by the Pint » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Awesome! If anyone else is considering brewing this winter, I've also read that the dry air will cause more to boil off than in the summer, so I'll need to increase the amount of water I start with.
Thank you for the comforting and wise words. I'd hate to think a little thing like 12" of snow and risk of frostbite could interfere with my plans!
-Sally

DJ in KC
Craft Brewer

#5 Post by DJ in KC » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:19 pm

It's not a big deal. I'll brew when it's zero sometimes.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:28 pm

What Dan doesn't tell you is that he sweats his balls off in the summer. :D
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Rob Martin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

When it gets cold, we brew in our garage with the garage door open about 1'. I've used a CO sensor several times and it doesn't register. What we noticed last month when we brewed was the garden hose froze outside, and our boil off was actually less than normal because it was in a more confined space. By mid-way through, the garage was up in the 60's when it was sub 30 outside.

Travel by the Pint
Homebrewer

#8 Post by Travel by the Pint » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Litte wonder he brews when it's so cold then...
Blktre wrote:What Dan doesn't tell you is that he sweats his balls off in the summer. :D

Travel by the Pint
Homebrewer

#9 Post by Travel by the Pint » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm

I've seen where other brewers do that successfully. My main concern was damage to equipment outside (which is actually warmer and more comfortable for us than the garage) given temperature differentials on the exposed metal.

Please don't get cocky with your CO situation, and keep using the sensor. The club needs you around as long as possible!

See you Saturday,

-Sally
Rob Martin wrote:When it gets cold, we brew in our garage with the garage door open about 1'. I've used a CO sensor several times and it doesn't register. What we noticed last month when we brewed was the garden hose froze outside, and our boil off was actually less than normal because it was in a more confined space. By mid-way through, the garage was up in the 60's when it was sub 30 outside.

DJ in KC
Craft Brewer

#10 Post by DJ in KC » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:42 pm

Travel by the Pint wrote:Litte wonder he brews when it's so cold then...
Blktre wrote:What Dan doesn't tell you is that he sweats his balls off in the summer. :D
It's nice when it's super hot/cold out. But a lot of beautiful fall/spring days it sucks. At least it's set up so I can walk away during about 2/3rds of a brew session if I'm not doing double duty with kegging/cleaning...... It was the only way I could set things up and be able to move 10 gal of wort without dealing with stairs.

If I had to brew outside now I'd probably miss my mash temps by 10df on those cold/hot days.......... Never run out of propane though 8)