Sourdough Starters

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Mikey
Homebrewer

Sourdough Starters

#1 Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:37 pm

As I promised last night, I posted my seminar materials in the recipe section of the forum. Thanks to everyone for being so quiet and attentive, I really appreciated it. Talking in front of groups that large isn't my forte :oops: , but geeking out on bread certainly is. I'll hammer down a decent formula for a 100% rye bread to replace that god-awful vinegar-soaked recipe in the December 2010 BYO, then I'll post it also.

Thanks again y'all.

-M.

klickcue
Brewmaster

Re: Sourdough Starters

#2 Post by klickcue » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks for posting your recipe. A little more complex than I do but your recipe looks really good :bounce: I am going to give it a try for the possibly more complex flavors that it might provide.

I use bottled spring water, for those of you that are looking for a chlorine free source.
Have Fun!

Chris

klickcue
Brewmaster

Re: Sourdough Starters

#3 Post by klickcue » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Mikey,

Did you give any starter away at the meeting?

Another thing that people can do once they get a starter that they like, is to freeze it. Mix the starter with some flour until it is very dry mix. Let it set at room temperature for a day to let the yeast/lacto desiccate. Place in refrigerator for a day and then the freezer.

Once you decide to use it again, use Mikey's 1 part water to 1 part flour to bring it back to life.

By the way, your starter is a pet, so you need to feed it once a week :D

Love this stuff - thanks Mikey!
Have Fun!

Chris