Using Guild funds for smaller guild activities

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

Using Guild funds for smaller guild activities

#1 Post by Greenblood » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:33 pm

The guild currently has one major event per year. Brewfest. We began expanding last year with the Renfest competition, and may be attempting Tour de Brew in the fall. There is also the brewing demo at Mass, and other suggestions have been made for guild events as well. These are accepted as "Guild" events, and funding for them is readily available from the guild.

There are however smaller events such as Big Brew, LBG Big Brews, Mead Day, Teach a Friend to Brew Day, Barrel Brew, Oktoberfest, etc. that are commonly hosted by a guild member at their home, and are regarded by most as gatherings not guild events. These events are done for the benefit and enjoyment of all members. Should guild funds be used for these events as well? If so, what should the guild funds be used for? What should they not be used for?

I would really like to see the LBG involved in more events. We are a growing organization, and there are a lot of opportunities to grow our small gatherings. I would like to see the guild offer the use of guild funds for these smaller gatherings in hopes that they can grow into larger guild events.

The guild has offered to pay for food in the past, and did pay for the food for Mead Day that Sean and I hosted last year. I would like to see this continue, and perhaps expand to offset some of the other costs involved.

What do you think?
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:47 pm

Im all for it. And i was under the impression the officers have made this a goal. I think it takes time. And the way the ticket sales for Brewfest is designed this year, there will be a nice nest egg in the account before brewfest even starts. I think the club needs to be smart with the money. But so far this year the club has rented a van for a brewery tour, purchased a whisky barrel, paid for a portion of the whisky barrel to be served at Brewfest. Not a bad start so far and i can only see these activities growing 10 fold next year.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:04 pm

Here here, I think the above mentioned is what the bank account is for. If it is an advertised event that at least a half to a dozen members will be at, then it is sanctioned and the officers should be allowed to make allowences as they see fit. I think a nest egg of x should always be in reserve for van incidents and the like, but other than that lets use that money to promote the craft we all love.