venting

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

venting

#1 Post by Jensen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 pm

I buy most of my Hombrew supplies right here in KC. But there are certain gadgets or "hard to finds" that require an Internet search and purchase. My three go to places for certain things are Williams, Norther Brewer, & More Beer. They all support certain brewing podcasts that I listen to frequently, and I like to show my gratitude back. I love them all and they each have their own niche. Williams and Northernbrewer have always had super fast shipping, an A+ if they were eBay shippers. That being said, if in a hurry MoreBeer is not the place to order from. Repeatedly over the years it is two to three days after your order is made that they get around to shipping. This is even if you pay the upgrade from the "free" or the "7.99 whatever special." I have come to realize this fact, but it does still chap my ass from time to time. All that being said, I love all three, truly, just don't be in a hurry with MoreBeer.
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: venting

#2 Post by Frank » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Interesting, I read that post looking for the question that I thought was coming. Then I read the subject of "Venting". It's always good to share your experiences with different venders. My I prefer MidWestSupplies.com or AustinHomeBrew.com.

MidWest has a cheaper prices per item but their shipping cost is a little higher so most of the time to total bill is cheaper. If you pay by PayPal make sure it's a credit card type transaction. If you by with Bank account with "E-Check" they wait for the check to clear which could add 3 days before it's shipped. If it's transferred from a bank card it's shipped the next day. Austin's prices are a little higher but the shipping is flat rate $7.99. They both ship supper fast . I can order from Midwest on Sunday night and have it by Wednesday. I haven't ordered from Austin since I've moved to Lawrence. However they usually have good deals on recipe kits, like out of season seasonals.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 pm

FDillon00 wrote: My I prefer MidWestSupplies.com or AustinHomeBrew.com.
I have heard really good things about both of these places on differnt forums over the years. Thanks for reminding me about them!
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by Rob Martin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:53 pm

For extract brewers, William's makes (or has a company make) some proprietary liquid extracts that I used to use when I extract brewed. I really liked their LME, but what got me to stop using them is this little story.

I ordered some hops, like 2-4 oz. They came and were literally yellow. Not green, or sort of green, but full blown yellow. I called customer service and the servicer told me that all of their hops are that color, they are supposed to be. Really. OK then, well I still want a refund. That was more than 8 years ago and I haven't ordered since, even though I still get their catalog and have moved twice, once being to a different state (IA to KS).

I'm a die hard Northernbrewer customer. Everything I buy is from them, or our own bulk grain buys. Forget B&B, and Homebrew pro shop for only when I'm in the neighborhood and I'm window shopping. I won't make a special trip.

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by cyburai » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew for ingredients
MoreBeer for gadgets.

I've been very satisfied with them.

Sometimes I'll buy yeast from B&B.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Joe Yoder » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 am

So...this thread begs the question.
Would you use a local homebrew supply if there was one located in Lawrence? I realize that the grain buys have made buying grain at a store kind of out of the question, but what about other stuff? Do you think that a homebrew supply store would be a viable business model in Lawrence, KS? Or have we done without one for so long that our buying patterns have been established online and out of town?
Our family and brewing conglomerate try to buy as much locally as we can, it helps the community. Do others feel this way, too, or is price the only factor?
Just curious.
Joe

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Rob Martin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:06 am

I buy local when it is reasonably possible. For example, if I need something less than $20, I go to Cottins, regardless of the price. It is my hardware store when I'm in a hurry, and the part tends to be small and it is the only thing I need. They also tend to be more knowledgeable and help tends to come quicker. If I'm going to build a significant project, I go to Home Depot. Ace is neither cheap nor helpful so I just don't go there.

For restaurants, I prefer local. I can go to chains when I'm travelling.

For cars, when I purchase it is only about the price. For servicing the car, it is about a reasonable (but not cheapest) price but good service. I actually have found I prefer dealerships for servicing, especially Crown. They are the best dealership for servicing I have ever been to and I take my Toyota and used to take my Chevy there. When my Pontiac is out of warranty, I will start taking it there because it is a Toyota drivetrain.

For homebrew stuff, this is a bit trickier. I don't go to B&B because primarily of their reputation (both store and brew club), but also because of the distance and lack of a warm and fuzy feeling when I walk in and tell them I'm from the LBG. The atmosphere backs up the reputation.

I used to go to HB Pr Shp frequently when I worked in Overland Park, but will not make a special trip because of a few different times I get the impression their isn't a higher level of brewing knowledge than I would expect from them. I also got gouged once when I bought less than 1 lb of grain without a warning that the price of 4 oz would basically be the same for 1 lb. If I was told prior to the register, I would have just bought the whole lb. Finally, prices tend to remain static. Less than 1 yr ago, I was in there and found a lb of hops that was about 2 yrs old and was still listed at hop prices during the shortage back then. As a business individual, you need to be willing to cut the loss if you personally bought inventory at a high price but the market then bottomed out. Lower the price, get rid of it, and be done with it.

I write all of this because it helps to show how I think when it comes to purchases. If there was a shop in town, the proprietor better know more than me. If they don't I probably wouldn't go there. They would need to have a decent amount of variety. Not a large amount of inventory, but variety. (Jeff does a great job of this, very varied in a small amount of space, with excellent knowledge and good customer service.) Third, for small items, I can stomach a significant increase in price, but for large items (mills, kegs, etc.) the price needs to be within 20% of online price or I'm not buying. The hops better be fresh and reasonably price (not cheap, but reasonable). Fresh yeast is a must and I would pay a premium to have it in a local store. I could handle possibly $2/lb specialty grain, but base malt (2-row, M.O., Pilsener, Optic) better be closer to $1 or honestly, the grain buy has spoiled me. I think a retailer would have a hard time selling base malts for $1/lb and still pay overhead.

sam
Homebrewer

#8 Post by sam » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:07 am

There used to be a small shop here in Lawrence similar to Ale n Vino in Topeka. I know that Ale n Vino has some of the basic stuff, but pretty limited. Don't know why you would have a business like that and not have an internet presence. Bad mojo. I think you could run a shop about anywhere, and have a wide inventory, if you did so. Case in point, I needed some parts for a jockey box on the way to Bull Shoals in Arkansas. No shop in Springfield, MO but found a place in a tiny town south of there being run out of an old galvanized steel building. Looked like crap on the outside. Walk in the door and there were most every kind of fitting and brewing supplies I have ever needed but no one in front. Walk to a back room and there are 5 gnarly brewer types working the hell out an assembly line, measuring grain, boxing items, etc. Pretty cool. They had what I needed.
If someone did that here, they might have a shot at having the variety and depth of inventory that would keep a local following. Especially if they catered to a large active group like this.

Barring that, I say FAIL.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.