Need a little help

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

DJ in KC
Craft Brewer

Need a little help

#1 Post by DJ in KC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Youngest daughter is living in Lawrence. Kind of in and out of school the last few years. And she needs to get a job. If anyone has some ideas about who is hiring, that would be greatly appreciated. 23 yr old, knows POS well, Credit Card processing, etc. Thanks for anything you all have.

Dan

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

Re: Need a little help

#2 Post by Joe Yoder » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am

Wish I could help, Dan. I also have a son here that is severely underemployed. Lawrence is the toughest of job markets. All the students that end up here just stay and stay. I'll keep my ears open and if you hear about anything let me know, too.
Joe Yoder

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 am

My son is in the same boat.
I will also keep any eye out...
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Steve Brown » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Younger-middle-aged multilingual guy with three bachelors and a recent master's seeks meaningful, professional position with a fair, livable wage and benefits. Experience with quantitative and qualitative research report writing, statistical analysis, boots-on-the-ground environmental work, knowledge of Federal and State environmental and ag regulations, grant writing, grant-funded cross-disciplinary international experience, computer literate with some programming experience, motivated self-learner. Mix of professional and academic, theoretical and practical experience.

Beyond this, I believe it might be professionally disadvantageous to place bitter personal expression on a public forum, and I'm not too willing to do that.

Dan, I'll send a PM with some unsolicited advice. I know that that’s not what you asked for, so by all means, delete it without reading it. It'll be blunt and if you find it offensive, it's not personal. Rather, it'll be a curt distillation of my best advice based on my direct experience here in Lawrence. I'll send it to anyone else who asks. (Dan gets it without asking!)

--Steve

DJ in KC
Craft Brewer

#5 Post by DJ in KC » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks guys. Even bad news lets you evaluate what to do next better. I appreciate it !

times are tough, what better people to ask than the LBG. Can't think of any.

phil6253
Homebrewer

#6 Post by phil6253 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Famous Daves was probably the latest employer that I know of
Big retirement community will be opening in the fall at 6th and Folks, should be some hiring coming up. I'll keep a look out while I'm out inspecting these various places.
Phil

meisel
Craft Brewer

#7 Post by meisel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Dan, have her put in an application at KU memorial unions. The HR dept is on the fourth floor of the Union. There are a variety of jobs, I happen to work in food service. She can search jobs and fill out an application on a computer there, I think there are part time openings here in the Crimson Cafe. Working at KU has benefits, like a meal plan and flexible schedules for part timers. Let me know if she has any problems, I can help out. Lee
The usefulness of opinion is itself matter of opinion.
Primum Brewery