Need advise to hopefully save some money.

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need advise to hopefully save some money.

#1 Post by Frank » Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 am

I am looking to add a 20# CO2 cylinder to my set-up for carbing and "general use" out side my serving fridge. I currently have a 5# stuffed in the back of my kegorator that is a pain to use for jumping, purging dead space, ect. Is it cheaper to find the cheapest empty cylinder from an internet vendor then just pay Praxair for the exchange, or just make the initial purchase from Praxair to get the cylinder from them?

Also if anyone knows of the cheapest places for hoses, spliters, regulators, ect. I'd be happy to know also.
Thanks in advance
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Blktre
BrewLegend

Re: Need advise to hopefully save some money.

#2 Post by Blktre » Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am

Frank,
If you dont need the 5# any longer I suggest taking it to Praxair and putting it towards your deposit on a 20#. They might just go straight up plus gas. Make sure you tell them your are a LBGer and hopefully the right guy is there behind the counter and he should get you set up.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Tom Turnbull
Homebrewer

#3 Post by Tom Turnbull » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 am

All compressed gas cylinders have a pressure certification requirement. This is a federal safety requirement. CO2 cylinders generally need this certification every 5 years. If you buy a cylinder that is out of date the fee for certification is in the neighborhood of $35, plus the cost of the gas and hazmat fee. Occasionally, you can get the refill company to waive the certification fee if you do a reasonable amount of business with them or make some other substantial purchase and get them to throw-in the certification. Cylinders (or any compressed gas equipment) purchased at any refill company (Linweld in Topeka, or especially Praxair in Lawrence) will usually cost the most, but their stuff will be good quality and any safety fees (except hazmat) may be saved, since they assume you will be refilling with them.
Regulators come in hundreds of different configurations - including single and double pressure/stage, with and without gauges, countless valve types, hoses, splitters, check valves, and associated accessories. Generally, most 2-gauge regulators are suitable for pushing and carbonating beer. Single gauge regulators can be used for beer, but should always be used down stream from a double gauge (tank pressure/line pressure) and NOT confused with a FLOW meter. Again, refill shops will have the highest prices, but good quality and good safety policies. Regulators purchased online, especially used ones, may be suspect and should be used with caution and/or tested for safety. CO2 cylinders, depending on ambient air temperature (and your height above sea-level), have, give or take, a pressure of 500psi - 1000psi. When I crack the main valve on any pressurized gas cylinder I, ALWAYS, make sure to stand out of direct line to the front of the regulator AND keep my face back. Catastrophic regulator failure can involve parts of the regulator becoming high velocity shrapnel.
Flow meters are another animal. I could not recommend using a flow meter on any beer setup. I have noticed some online sellers offering what are flow meters as "regulators", which is technically correct, but leaving off any description of their proper use.

EOS

...........or what Andy said.
Tom Turnbull

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Frank » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed description Tom. I understand the need for hydro-tested cylinders and dangers of improper equipment (FD and EMS training, OSHA compliance manager). I need to keep the 5# for serving in the kegorator. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the "deposit" would be for a CO2 without an exchange cylinder. I will compair that to internet vendors for a new/used within date cylinder as an exchange if that's cheaper. My other question was if there's any "non-brewing" websites to get regulators/tubing/splitters cheaper. Like using McMaster.com to get keg O-rings and "Epoxy mixer" restrictor’s for shorting beer lines.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Wed May 18, 2011 2:10 pm

I serve and carb all of my kegs usually with one 20# tank. I did move the tank outside of my kegerator. I then have a dual primary reg. on the tank. One for serving, one for carbing at the same time. In my walkin I have a set of 3 secondary regs. coming off a single primary. Which is another option. If it was me and you want to save money, Id get that 5# out of the kegerator and use it as a deposit towards a 20#. Take the money saved on a 20# deposit and get a dual primary or add a few secondaries. I can fill my 50# tank for the same cost as a 5# tank. There is where you save money. Something to think about anyways.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by cyburai » Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Check craigslist and restaurant auctions. You should be able to score one for 30-40 bux
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by cyburai » Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 pm

cyburai wrote:Check craigslist and restaurant auctions. You should be able to score one for 30-40 bux
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/2380855514.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/2380855514.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/2364913105.html
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company