Request short-term loan of brain cells

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Travel by the Pint
Homebrewer

Request short-term loan of brain cells

#1 Post by Travel by the Pint » Thu May 19, 2011 7:58 am

Hey all.

Without going into specifics, we've had some major shi* going down family-wise over the past three weeks, and I don't trust my assessment of a fermentation issue (which is, btw, the absolute lowest of priorities right now).

Those of you who saw us at 23rd street a few weeks ago heard me discuss a problem with stuck fermentation on a 5 gallon batch of vanilla bourbon porter. I'd already pitched a second vial of fresh yeast, but we'd seen no movement. Both Bucky and Brick had some great suggestions. We followed Bucky's advice first, and transferred the wort to a pre-warmed vessel. Then we left town and hoped for the best. That was the third week in April. We'd made this recipe in 2010, so I have comparative numbers.

2010 Batch: SG 1.082, FG 1.016 at 76°
2011 Batch SG 22.6 Brix, stuck at 12 Brix, currently 10.5 Brix

My question, do these second numbers now fall where they should? If they do, we'll proceed with bottling. If not, then it's time for extreme measures, which I explain later because I don't want it to color your advice.

Thank you,

-Sally

JMcG
Brewmaster

Re: Request short-term loan of brain cells

#2 Post by JMcG » Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 am

Hmm.
According to my calculations that converts to FG 1.009 when corrected for alcohol content, and ABV of 11.3!
jim

Travel by the Pint
Homebrewer

Re: Request short-term loan of brain cells

#3 Post by Travel by the Pint » Thu May 19, 2011 8:35 am

JMcG wrote:Hmm.
According to my calculations that converts to FG 1.009 when corrected for alcohol content, and ABV of 11.3!
jim
Yep, that's what I came up with. Sounds to me like it's time to bottle.

To all those bug fans out there, I do apologize. You were a few SG points away from being gifted a batch to play with.

Thank you,

-Sally