cloged keg

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

cloged keg

#1 Post by Jensen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

For those of you that dry hop in a serving keg with a hop bag and leave it in for the duration, here are a few helpful hints. After you are done with the carbing of the keg at high pressure, release the pressure before you open the faucet. A high pressure push through the faucet can actually suck part of the hop bag up the dip tube! If this should happen, the easy fix is to release all the pressure out of the keg and run high pressure co2 through the dip liquid tube to to unclog. Then off-gas excess pressure and put faucet back on and you should be able to serve just fine. This would be the fist line of attack on a stuck keg before loosening posts or opening bales-- to reduce the uptake of o2 in your beer.
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: cloged keg

#2 Post by Frank » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Is this helpful tip based on past experiences or more recent ones? :mrgreen: Good info thanks. Per your advice I have parked my stout for atleast 6 months, I have the will power.... I hope.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Re: cloged keg

#3 Post by Jensen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm

FDillon00 wrote:Is this helpful tip based on past experiences or more recent ones?
Both, actually.
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**