Lets talk clearifying agents.

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lets talk clearifying agents.

#1 Post by Frank » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I have always used the basic Irish moss. Now I have heard/read about a lot of folks using Whirlfloc tablets. I have also recently descovered Super Irish Moss by 5 Star Chemicals. After reading the labels (active and inactive ingredients) I like the Super Moss. My question is what do you think of using these and what do you use?
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

Re: Lets talk clearifying agents.

#2 Post by Steve Brown » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I've mostly used Irish Moss. It's convenient, and easy to measure for small batches. I've used Super Moss; less convenient as it has to be dissolved in a little hot wort and added back to the boil, or it clumps. About a year and a half ago, some people chipped in on a bulk container; I got a pound, and would gladly sell three-quarters of it. At one-half teaspoon per five gallons, it'll last me forever. (I'll be glad to give you some to try, too!) A few months after the bulk purchase of Super Moss, many members seemed to switch preference to Whirlfloc; I've never used it, so other than the convenience, I don't know the difference. I think one tablet is good for ten gallons, so I think you can use a half-tablet for five. (Double check with someone.) Years ago I used Knox unflavored gelatin, one packet per five gallons, and it worked well; more expensive than Irish Moss, so I switched.
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:47 pm

SM and whirlflock are the same thing except for form. I used SM for years but there is a proper way to mix it before use for it to work properly. Since the whirlflock bulk buy I switched for matter of convenience . Before whirlflock was not cost effective for me where SM was cheap for a lifetime supply. Both work the same at my house but others say SM was not effective. I think it was because it was not used properly. I have both. I never use gel. I haven't seen the need.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by Jensen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:59 pm

I've always just used the basic Irish Moss with really brilliantly crystal-clear results. That being said, I always keg first and\or have always repackaged, if needed, from the keg. The first draw or two from a keg has always taken out the last little bit of turbidity my beers ever have. Unless Really hopped up or wheat beers-- they have always looked filtered, without the process.
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Frank » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the great info. I just ran out of Irish moss Saturday and thought about trying something new. Like I said before I like the look of the SM, cheap, made by a good company, ect. Also as far as "secondary" clearing agents like gel finnings, Chitosan products and Isinglass that's a whole new ball game that I have barely touched. I think those are only necessary if you're trying to push something super bright out in a very sort time. I have used gelatin finnings once, I made a MayBock (many of you had some) on March 19th and wanted it ready for May fest and the May meeting. I used the gel instead of a long lager rest and it seemed to come out fine, nice and bright. Now that I have settled in to brewing way a head of time for seasonal beers I don't think that will be an issue again.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by Jensen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:39 pm

FDillon00 wrote: I think those are only necessary if you're trying to push something super bright out in a very sort time.

You hit the head on the nail. Most all protiens and yeast will fall with time. If bottling or serving is need in a hurry, then by all means!

Of course chill haze can be a whole other thread... :lol:
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Blktre
BrewLegend

#7 Post by Blktre » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Jensen wrote:
FDillon00 wrote: I think those are only necessary if you're trying to push something super bright out in a very sort time.

You hit the head on the nail. Most all protiens and yeast will fall with time. If bottling or serving is need in a hurry, then by all means!

Of course chill haze can be a whole other thread... :lol:
Yup, or just go bulk cold for a few weeks instead.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Frank » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Blktre wrote:Yup, or just go bulk cold for a few weeks instead.
Some of us don't have a built in walk in cooler in their basement. :mrgreen:
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker