Advice on my investment.

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Advice on my investment.

#1 Post by Frank » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Ok so I have decided to invest in my future brewing projects. I know that I want a 3 vessel kegel system. I found 2 kegs at a price that couldn't be passed up. So my problem is they are not the ideal kegs. As you can see from the picture bellow they are more "cask" shaped. I know I'll have a sight glass and I would assume the straight sided kegs are better for this. So my question is, does any one know know of a good way to get these 2 traded out for the straight sided kegs?

Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Bill
Brewmaster

Re: Advice on my investment.

#2 Post by Bill » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:41 pm

You don't need a straight side. Volume is volume. As long as your sight tube is marked for each gallon (or 1/2 gallon), it's fine. Just extend the site tube beyond the sides and you are good to go.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Frank » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 pm

I have thought about that, but I am also a lot OCD. The straight kegs look a little better and I would assume have a wider base.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Blktre
BrewLegend

#4 Post by Blktre » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:57 pm

You should of asked. I have straight sided kegs.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Frank » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Yea I know Andy, but I am looking for some of my own. I figure now that I bought these for a steal worse case situation I'll be able to sell them at market value in Lawrence and turn a profit. But I really want straight kegs for my future system, kind of like Mikey's (maybe a little shorter). Rumor has it that some stores will take any keg back for deposit. I have always understood that it needs to be from the same company, ie. Coors keg (Which these are) for Coors Keg not Coors for Anheuser Busch.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

Bill
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Bill » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 am

FDillon00 wrote:Rumor has it that some stores will take any keg back for deposit. I have always understood that it needs to be from the same company, ie. Coors keg (Which these are) for Coors Keg not Coors for Anheuser Busch.
I was in the bar business for over 10 years and I don't recall seeing a Coors keg shaped like that. Maybe it is a new style (read as 'in the last 10 years'), but it is probably an old keg and you may not be able to exchange for a deposit.
I also believe that recycling centers, like Lonnie's recycling, do not accept kegs as scrap.

Sometimes you have to adjust your OCD to allow for functionality. We will not judge you on your equipment, you shouldn't either.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Rob Martin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:53 am

Interesting thread. I was given an empty New Belgium 1/6 BBL shell for helping a guy with a fundraiser. It's been sitting in my garage for a year now. I've often wondered if I could trade it in on a deposit for something, particularly a cheaper 1/2 BBL keg of whatever.