FAQ - How to do Tab

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

klickcue
Brewmaster

FAQ - How to do Tab

#1 Post by klickcue » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:27 pm

I am thinking the forum needs a FAQ and How to do folder. Basically a one stop shopping center.

Basically an area with goodies:

How to make a simple starter.
What are the o-ring numbers to rebuild a keg from McMaster-Carr of other places.
How to make a slant for yeast.
How to freeze yeast.
How to use a keg system with a CO2 chart.
What are the McMaster product numbers for silicone tubing and quick disconnects for a pumping system.
How to sparge by fly and batch infusion.
Qualities of different yeast, profile and taste on different beers.

Anyway, what do you think?

Pictures could also be added to the process as well as a written step program.
Have Fun!

Chris

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FAQ - How to do Tab

#2 Post by Frank » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:42 pm

So your suggesting more of a "wiki" in the forums... I like the idea, but like any community based projects it takes the work of a ton of people (which we don't have) or a ton of work by a few people ( which we may have). I am working on a video wiki, I will be going through a DYI stir plate build on my youtube shortly as well as hoping to record our seminars from meetings. I got our tasting tonight, and hope to have it put this weekend. I love the idea but it may be a very long process.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

klickcue
Brewmaster

#3 Post by klickcue » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:20 am

FDillon00 wrote:So your suggesting more of a "wiki" in the forums... I like the idea, but like any community based projects it takes the work of a ton of people (which we don't have) or a ton of work by a few people ( which we may have). I am working on a video wiki, I will be going through a DYI stir plate build on my youtube shortly as well as hoping to record our seminars from meetings. I got our tasting tonight, and hope to have it put this weekend. I love the idea but it may be a very long process.
Way to go Frank, that is a start.

Maybe 3 years ago, there were discussions buried in the forum of how to build a DYI stir plate. Also, there are o-ring number and sizes for kegs, I think. So, there is lot of information buried and a lot of people have information stored on their personnel PC.

It doesn't have to be done tomorrow and it will grow in the years ahead.

Just a thought.
Have Fun!

Chris

klickcue
Brewmaster

Yeast Lab Supplies

#4 Post by klickcue » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:09 am

Here is one that might apply to someone that might want to look into culturing yeast.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... n_US#gid=0
I spent a lot of time getting this document current and it not something everyone would use.

I am not a fan of cloud computing for something like this in a personnel account since I might remove the document or picture.

I think the Mod or Admin should be the only person to control what goes into the FAQ so the FAQ doesn't get cluttered.
Have Fun!

Chris

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 am

Great idea. Maybe we can have brewers volunteer to make these. There is no way that just a few people would have the time to do this. Or we can just borrow from Blues Brothers.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Steve Brown » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:39 pm

This is indeed a good idea! It might take a while.

Fortunately, in the meantime the "Search" function works pretty well. For example "mcmaster carr keg rings" will return a few useful hits. Similarly, "carbonation" will return hits that cover force-carbing, CO2 volume charts, etc.
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin