anyone used a Therminator? wort chiller?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

anyone used a Therminator? wort chiller?

#1 Post by Bill » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:47 am

I was browsing the world wide web and found "The Therminator?". Basically a mini radiator counter flow chiller.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/The ... allery.htm

The product looks very promising, but the cost is CRAZY. Has anyone used one? I have no plans on buying one, just thought I would throw the link out.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

philip
Homebrewer

#2 Post by philip » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:50 am

I looked at one of these at the NHC in 2005. My concern would be keeping it clean. The tubing on the inside has to be quite small.

Bill
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Bill » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:08 am

philip wrote:My concern would be keeping it clean. The tubing on the inside has to be quite small.
They guy that showed it to me said that he cleans it immediatly when he's finished with it. He disconnets the wort hoses and back-flushes warm PBW through it, letting the first 1/2 gallon or so drain out (to remove any particulates from left by the wort) then recycles the PBW into the same bucket. Then he soaks the unit in sanitizer. He does suggest to filter the wort prior to hitting the cooler. He has never had any problems as of yet.

Though, I know that Andy gets the same speed from his CFC and pre-chiller and I'm sure the cost was much less (knowing Andy).
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Snowman
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Snowman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:08 pm

I don't have a link for it but know a guy with a Shiron plate chiller and loves it. My concern with them is the fact that it's impossible to see what may learks inside. Yes a CFC has issues with not seeing inside but you're dealing with a smooth cylindrical surface with a larger clearance.
My suggestion is using a CFC and a post wort chiller. One other thing is that you will still only get to ground water temps in the summer no mater how efficient you unit is...that is without a post chiller for the wort or a prechiller for the water.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:02 pm

2 words of warning........hard to clean, and no slacking either. Always backflush immidiatly, then backflush w/pbw, blow out, store dry. Then sanitize. I use starsan but starsan and soft allow metals dont mix for long periods of time. Id be interested a year from now how many plate chillers start causing infections in peoples batches cuz they get lazy in the cleaning part.

Also, if you dont have excellent means to filter out any hop material, dont use it. These things clog fast and easy.

The Shirron is way, way cheaper than the Thermonator. The Therminator has more surface area but ive read test results between both these plate chillers and the performance of the Therminator for the extra cost didnt seem worth it to me......

The scary thing is its a solid design and cannot be taken apart. Well see someday.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough