Making a yeast starter and stepping up yeast

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Matt
Uberbrewer

Making a yeast starter and stepping up yeast

#1 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm starting a thread on propagating yeast from single vials or smack packs, through the use of starters and stir plates. As I'm starting down this road, I'm coming up with a lot of questions and I figured this would be a good way to share what I'm learning from everyone.

EDIT: Please be sure you read through all of the posts in this thread before coming to any conclusions. This first post asks as many questions as it answers, so be sure to read through the excellent posts that follow for a more complete picture. And please continue to post on the subject if you can bring even the smallest bit of information to the table.

A quick search found one post on the subject, which I've included as a good jumping-off point. Here is the following from Frank Dillon:
Starter OG of 1.040 is what I have read (Palmer book) but it doesn't go into detail as to why to stick around that gravity. http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

The only reason I can think of is at the time of the writing autolysis was a pretty scary situation. However he has come to state more recently that autolysis is very unlikely in normal more up to date brewing practice (including not racking to secondary) because we are getting much better/younger/healthier yeast from labs that specialize in brewing yeasts.

That being said I routinely make higher gravity starters based on the desired ABV of my final beer. I calculate the OG by using the ABV and assuming a FG of 1.000 (just to not over do it, I know it will not get that low). So for a beer that will be 7% ABV I aim for a starter of 1.053. Since the yeast can tolerate higher ABVs and I always use the starter yeast within 7 days I have never had a problem. Also "over pitching" might be brought up but I only use a 2L flask and I do this to maximize the yeast. I have talked to a couple LBG members that have said over pitching is like having too much money, is it really a problem?
As I'm new to all of this yeast propagation business, I don't yet have a bunch of canned starter wort. I know that's a common practice among brewers who step up yeast for larger batches, so I would love to get some advice on starter wort recipes, canning, etc. Looks like I'll soon be adding mason jars to my collection of brewing equipment.

In the meantime, I will have to make do with a DME solution to step up my yeast. As Frank (and conversations I've had with Andy) suggest, the common suggestion is a SG of 1.040 for your wort used to step up the yeast. But Frank's suggestion about higher alcohol beers "sounds right" to me, and since the one I'm brewing this week will be a 7% beer, I'll aim for 1.053. (I'm assuming that you used BeerSmith to calculate that desired gravity, and could do the same for whatever ABV your final beer will be.)

Fermcap (foam control drops) is also highly recommended in your starter, so you don't make a big mess. This should keep your yeast from foaming over the rim of your flask and making a mess all over your new stir plate and anything else you might have on that table.

For those of us who don't have starter wort canned, or don't brew often enough to warrant making a big batch of starter wort, is there a suggestion on what kind of DME is best for starters? I'm assuming Light DME, which is usually Carapils-based, I believe. But perhaps it depends on the final beer you're making, and for some instances, Dark or Amber DME might be a better choice? In the end, the spent wort is getting decanted off and only a very small amount is going into the beer, so maybe it doesn't matter one bit. Thoughts on this are welcome.

Palmer offers the following on preparing your starter wort using DME:
Boil a pint (1/2 quart) of water and stir in 1/2 cup of DME. This will produce a starter of about 1.040 OG. Boil this for 10 minutes, adding a little bit of hops if you want to. Put the lid on the pan for the last couple minutes, turn off the stove and let it sit while you prepare for the next step. Adding a quarter teaspoon of yeast nutrient (vitamins, biotin, and dead yeast cells) to the starter wort is always advisable to ensure good growth. It is available from your brewshop.
Now, I'm planning two steps of around 1500ml each (for my 2L flask to allow a little headspace). Since one pint is roughly 473 milliliters, I'm thinking I'll need about 3.3 times the 1:1 mixture Palmer describes above for each step. That's 3.3 pints of water to 1.65 cups of DME for an SG of 1.040. Please correct me if I'm overthinking this...

Obviously, you want to chill your wort after boiling and keep it sanitary before pitching your yeast. I'm using a 2L Erlenmeyer flask on my stir plate, so I'll sanitize that, add the cooled wort to it and then pitch the yeast. Cover with a sanitized piece of aluminum foil (or airlock if you prefer), and put it on the stir plate. In about 36 hours, the yeast will have blown through the wort, and it will be time to cold-crash the yeast. In about 24 hours, the yeast will have settled out, and you can decant (pour off the spent wort, leaving the yeast cake in the bottom), and then add more room temp starter wort for the second step.

I've been told you can figure one step per five gallons of final beer. Is there a diminishing return on this? What's the largest pitch you've ever used, and for how large of a batch? I'm a big fan of pitching big. Some discussion on the pros (and any cons?) of pitching big would be good to include. The first things that come to mind include: your initial fermentation will start significantly faster and take much less time, which means less time for a potential infection, a greater ability for the yeast to clean up after itself resulting in fewer off-flavors, fewer stressed-out yeast as they can focus on consuming sugars rather than multiplying (resulting in fewer off flavors in the first place), and shorter time from fermenter to bottle/keg. If you can speak authoritatively on yeast and the off-flavors they can be responsible for, etc, that would be a nice addition to this reference, but I'll skip it, as I'm mostly concerned with process right now.

Cold crashing between steps will get the yeast to floc out fully, so you don't decant off too many yeast cells between steps. On average, how long does cold crashing a 2000ml volume take? I've heard roughly 24 hours. Is there an ideal temp? Can you get too cold and harm the yeast?

While we're on the subject of yeast storage and such, anyone who wants to add something on freezing or making slants, it would make a good reference for later when I get to that point. Right now I don't have a lot of cold storage space, and what I do have is filled with hops. But someday it would be cool to have a nice collection of yeast strains, so I don't have to purchase as much. Of course I say that now, but buying a $7 vial or smack pack is probably a thousand times easier, more efficient, cheaper, and more likely to produce great beer than farming my own. Still, it would be cool to know how. (You know, for when the zombie apocalypse comes and we're forced to make beer without the benefit of awesome yeast labs.)

If you're brewing a 10 gallon batch, two 2000ml (2L) steps are recommended. Cold crash and store cold until you're ready to pitch (ideally as soon as it's floc'd out). Decant until you have just a small amount of liquid above your yeast cake, swirl it up real good to get the yeast in suspension and not sticking to the bottom of your flask, and then pitch onto the 70-80 degree wort of your brewed beer in your fermenter. Apparently, you don't have to worry about temperature shock going from cold yeast to warm wort. Only when going from warm to cold. I'm told the yeast actually love jumping from a cool fridge into your room temp fermenter. (Kind of like jumping from a snow bank into a hot tub. Exhilarating!)

I'm sure I'll have more as I go through my first starter. The process is easy enough, but I'm writing this with the mind-set of a beginner, so that it will be a good reference for brewers of all experience levels.

Proper yeast handling and pitching rates are some of the best and easiest things you can do to improve the quality of your fermentation and the resulting beer. Plus, when you pitch big, your initial fermentation is significantly faster, which means less time for a potential infection, a greater ability to clean up after itself resulting in fewer off-flavors, and shorter time from fermenter to bottle/keg.

This thread is open to anyone with expert advice or questions of their own. Please add to it so it can become a good community resource on the subject.

And again, my thanks to everyone who's helped make this next adventure in brewing a fun and easy one for me.

Matt
Last edited by Matt on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

DJ in KC
Craft Brewer

Re: Making a yeast starter and stepping up yeast

#2 Post by DJ in KC » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:06 pm

100gm/liter makes it simple for measuring. I stick with that regardless of the OG of the beer I'll brew. No references, but I've heard several times that a higher gravity starter may hurt more than help. I crash in a dorm fridge most of the time so probably ~40df - 24 hours is fine for most of the yeast I use. Most of the time I use 2.5L of starter wort for 10 gallons with an OG of 1.050 - 1.060. Stirplate and my ferments start pretty fast. Yesterdays batch was starting in 6 hours.

JMcG
Brewmaster

#3 Post by JMcG » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:37 pm

My understanding from Yeast and other sources is that 1.040 is the ideal gravity for maximum number of yeast. What your looking to do is grow largest number of yeast. If you're making a bigger beer, pitch larger numbers of yeast.
Check out JZ's starter calc @ Mr Malty.
100 gm/L is what I use, boil for 15 min (get a good "hot break") and cool.
I step up from slants which are easy to store and you don't have to keep buying yeast.
Slant to 20 ml wort in a test tube, shake it up frequently and its ready to go into 200 ml in a day or two. After 2 more days on the stir plate it can go into 2-3 L on the plate and ready to pitch in two more days. So, I plan ahead 5-7 days to have the yeast ready, and chill the flask in the fridge starting the morning of brew day, then decant the spent beer and pour in the yeast.
jim

klickcue
Brewmaster

#4 Post by klickcue » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:27 am

If you are into pressure canning, the only one that I will recommend is All American brand:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... d=15899471

The reason is that the All American does not use a rubber or silicone seal for the canner top.
Try and find seals for a 30 or 40 year old canner. The All American has a metal to metal seal.

The All American is expensive, but for the years of service, it's cost per year is cheap. A plus with the canner is that you can do 5, 10 or 15 psi of pressure, which makes it great for every day cooking and not dedicated to just canning or cooking.

Make sure that you buy the largest that you can afford at the time. Also make sure that the size will do a quart jar.

The reason that I recommend the largest is that with wort, you can not quick release the pressure and have to let the canner cool down naturally. It make for a long day if doing small batches.

If you are doing slants with agar, you will need a pressure canner. We are not talking sanitized here, we are talking sterilized. The same goes for the 20ml starter solutions that will be used to start the yeast from a slant or use the whole slant for the starter (which is what I do). You can do several slants and starter solutions at the same time in the canner and save some time in the future. Your tube needs to be be able to stand up to the heat. For 15 psi of pressure, that equals about 250 degrees F. You can Google search 'saturated steam table' to figure out the others.

The reason that 1.040 SG is your friend is Osmosis. A yeast cell, just like the human body, is comprised of mostly water. The sugar has to transport through the membrane of the yeast body to supply energy and growth for the cell. As recommended, 100 grams per liter of H20 is on target. If trying to revive an old culture, you might be in the neighborhood of 1.010 or 1.020 SG because the old culture may be in poor health.

Now, you may wonder why Osmosis is important. Sugar is a preservative just as salt is. With high sugar content, bugs have a hard time getting a foot hold to reproduce. There is no water for the transport since the concentration of sugar is go high. A good example of this is jelly and jams.

I recommend just starting with a DME solution of 100 grams per liter of water which is about 1.040 SG. You do not need to get stressed out about getting your starter cooled down. As long as the starter solution is below 105 degrees F, you are good to go. Yeast like warmth and the solution will come down to your room temperature anyway.

I hardly ever use my 2000 cc flask except for stepping up slants. Most of the time, a use a 1 gallon jug with a fairly flat bottom. I use a 1.5 inch stir bar with o-rings on the ends of the stir bar. The o-rings help the stir bar conform the the bottom without the bar getting thrown to the side. Remember, whether using a stir plate or swirling by hand that O2 is absorbed from the surface area of the solution (top). A yeast solution with a constant supply of O2 reproduces in to more yeast cell. A solution that is deficient in O2 produces alcohol.

As your population of yeast grow, you will need a larger amount of wort to create a larger population of yeast. A small amount of wort will only get the yeast that is grown hydrated to the point that they are ready to go to work creating your beer.

I am sure that I have forgotten something but other will chime in for what I have forgotten.

Enjoy growing yeast and bugs. There is a lot of enjoyment in growing and from the scientific point, there is a lot to learn.
Have Fun!

Chris

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Jensen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:06 pm

The 10:1 ratio of DME to Distilled water (roughly 1.040) is what I use in my canning process of making wort starters. I have one pressure cooker that holds four 1/2 gal mason jars, and one pressure cooker that hold 7 quart jars. In the 1/2 gal jars I put 160 grams of DME a pinch of yeast nutrient and fill to the 1600 ml line with water. In the quart jars I put 70 grams of DME a pinch of yeast nutrient and fill to the 700ml line. I then take a stick wand blender (wedding gift) and run it for about 5 seconds in each jar to mix them up real well. I don't know that you need to do this step, but I never seem to use that thing for anything else and it does such a perfect job in a mason jar. Then I put a jar lid and and band, just finger snug, on each and put them in the cookers with water about 3/4 up the sides of the jars. Bring to high pressure 15psi for 15 min (more time only seems to darken the wort with no more benefit of sterilization), then turn off the heat and let them cool till the pressure drops in the cookers. Take them out and set on the counter over night to cool all the way. Test the lids by pushing down on them. They should be tight with no flex in them when you push down on them-- then store them. The wort will last for years in this state, ready for your yeast starter in a moments notice.
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

klickcue
Brewmaster

#6 Post by klickcue » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Jensen wrote:The 10:1 ratio of DME to Distilled water (roughly 1.040) is what I use in my canning process of making wort starters. I have one pressure cooker that holds four 1/2 gal mason jars, and one pressure cooker that hold 7 quart jars. In the 1/2 gal jars I put 160 grams of DME a pinch of yeast nutrient and fill to the 1600 ml line with water. In the quart jars I put 70 grams of DME a pinch of yeast nutrient and fill to the 700ml line. I then take a stick wand blender (wedding gift) and run it for about 5 seconds in each jar to mix them up real well. I don't know that you need to do this step, but I never seem to use that thing for anything else and it does such a perfect job in a mason jar. Then I put a jar lid and and band, just finger snug, on each and put them in the cookers with water about 3/4 up the sides of the jars. Bring to high pressure 15psi for 15 min (more time only seems to darken the wort with no more benefit of sterilization), then turn off the heat and let them cool till the pressure drops in the cookers. Take them out and set on the counter over night to cool all the way. Test the lids by pushing down on them. They should be tight with no flex in them when you push down on them-- then store them. The wort will last for years in this state, ready for your yeast starter in a moments notice.
I couldn't have said it better.

I will throw this into the mix also:
Mary Beth Raines-Casselman, Ph.D. has one of the very best articles on the web for growing yeast.
http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast-pr ... -practices

Of course, the famous Mr. Malty yeast calculator:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

If you use Beersmith 2, there are yeast tools included for pitching rates.

If you are into bugs, this is great:
http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com/

Kai's web page, keep clicking Next at the bottom of the page:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... uring_gear

There is more but this will keep a person busy for a little while :D
Have Fun!

Chris