Yeast Starter time saver

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

klickcue
Brewmaster

Yeast Starter time saver

#1 Post by klickcue » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:45 pm

at least for me.

My time schedule has been really messed up for some time now and can not hardly keep up with brewing. If you see me, it is Hi how are you doing, Bye. I hope everyone had a good time at the Christmas party and thanks to everyone for the grain buy.

Back to topic.

So, you have your favorite yeast whether grown from slant (like I do) or grown from a pack or vial. You want to use the yeast every weekend to keep up with your brewing schedule.

So, you are going to brew a 10 gallon batch of beer, which is a pack or vial with a 2 liter starter to get the cell count for the beer at about 1.056 SG. This is a slight over pitch but does not make a difference.

So out of the starter that has finished, swirl up the settled yeast and pour off 1 pint (500ml) of liquid or less depending on your jar.

This will settle out to be about a pack or vial of yeast or about $6 to $9 of yeast for your next brew.

I build my starter with Yeast Nutrient and 0.5 ppm of zinc, but you don't have to. After you have poured the pint or less, make sure that you date the jar for future reference.

Use the left over starter solution to brew your nest current beer and use the pint to start your next starter solution. Quick and easy.

Of course, you can use the yeast from your finished beer for your next rotation. But, will put you out of rotation.
Have Fun!

Chris