Carbonation Question

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

N1000

Carbonation Question

#1 Post by N1000 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:46 pm

I've got my draft system setup and just have a question or who on how to properly keep my keg carbonated. ATM i'm running a single freestate wheat keg on a taprite dual guage regulator; I have one side cappedoff. My question is, when pooring beers the pressure on my regulator goes down. Am I constantly suppose to be feeding gas into it. Or is the regulators job to do this automatically. If so it is not. Thanks for the help, you guys have been great, especially cyburai. It's nice to have some local folks willing to help out.

N1000

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Yes, after carbonation you will need to keep anywhere from 8-12psi at all times on the keg. Once the reg is set and the keg is settled, the reg. will constantly feed pressure to the keg when it needs it. This is serving pressure. Of course a good pour also depends on the carbonation level, length and diameter of beverage tubing. If your interested, the next LBG meeting i will be discussing kegging and carbonation techniques to help prepare new keggers get their Brewfest beer ready.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

cyburai
Uberbrewer

Re: Carbonation Question

#3 Post by cyburai » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:52 pm

N1000 wrote:Thanks for the help, you guys have been great, especially cyburai. It's nice to have some local folks willing to help out.

N1000
Anytime. Glad things are working out. And Andy (bkltre) is right on for info on kegging. If you can't wait until the next meeting, keep posting questions.

We like answering them, or showing you where the answer can be found.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company