New helpful item at our local HomeDepot.

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

New helpful item at our local HomeDepot.

#1 Post by Frank » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 pm

I was in Home Depot last week and found an item that may be useful to the many of us that store grain in "homer buckets".

It's a permanent lid for the bucket. The outer ring snaps on top of the bucket and has a gasket (It's hard to see in the photo because it's black) just like the standard orange lid. Then the inner lid screws into the ring, and the inner lid has a white gasket (as in the photo). They are on the shelf next to the other lids in the paint area for $6.97 and the regular gasket lid is $1.28. Even with the price difference I like the looks of the new lid because I have already had to replace a couple of the cheap lids in the past year. Since they are designed as one time use lids the repeated on and off I have ripped the lids at the notches.

I plan to replace each lid as I break them.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Matt
Uberbrewer

Re: New helpful item at our local HomeDepot.

#2 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Good tip! Those look like they probably seal tighter and would last a lot longer too.

Any issues with stacking buckets with the new lids?

Any difficulties getting them open once they've been sealed? Looks like they might be hard to unscrew once they're on.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Frank » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:00 pm

The top of the lid is very similar to other lids so stacking shouldn't be a issue. Getting them apart seemed fairly easy I was able to take this apart in the store with my hands. It would be even easier once the ring is attached to the bucket.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Matt
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Cool. Thanks Frank. Will definitely look into those when my standard lids fail.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

kwgodwin
Craft Brewer

#5 Post by kwgodwin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

It's good to hear these are available from Home Depot!

I have about 6 of these courtesy of Doug's (my neighbor and brew partner) wife Laurie. In fact I was going to bring one to the next "gadgets" meeting. I'm not sure what the cost was.

Anyway, they are fantastic. The base ring fits VERY tight to the homer buckets. You will never get one off without destroying either the bucket or the base ring (or both). But that's not a problem...I see it as a positive. The screw on lids open easily, but I'm sure someone can strong-arm the lid tight enough to make it a pain to remove.

Ken

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:11 am

Good stuff. Thanks Franko!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Jensen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:33 pm

kwgodwin wrote: I was going to bring one to the next "gadgets" meeting.

Ken

When is the next "gadgets" meeting, anyway???
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Bill
Brewmaster

#8 Post by Bill » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:04 am

Jensen wrote: When is the next "gadgets" meeting, anyway???
oooooh, I love gadget meetings! It's been so long since I've been to one of those my stuff will appear to be new :D
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Tuck
Homebrewer

#9 Post by Tuck » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Gadget meeting is this month's seminar.
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

#10 Post by Sláinte! » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:40 pm

There is something that can be done to (in theory) prevent the cracks from propagating and the lids from failing in the first place.

Get yourself a spiral bit or round file and use it in a rotary tool to round and gently enlarge the tip of the vee. You'll want it to look similar to an old-fashioned keyhole when you're done. The reason the crack propagates is because stress is concentrated; doing this should spread the stress over a larger region and prevent the cracking.

Just how large and deep the rounded region needs to be to prevent crack propagation is difficult to determine, but in general the larger it is without impinging on the o-ring groove, the better.

Dan
Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tap: Scottish Export 80
Primary: Empty
Secondary/Lagering: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cherry-Infused Bourbon Barrel Porter, '100' American Barleywine, Midas Touch Clone II, Doppelsticke Altbier