I would like to learn to use a lathe

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

I would like to learn to use a lathe

#1 Post by Greenblood » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:51 pm

Does anybody own a lathe? Would you be willing to teach me how to use one? I plan to purchase one eventually, but I would like to make sure that I can do what I want to do before making the investment. Any help will be appreciated and paid for with beer and inapropriate touching

Cheers!

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Snowman
Homebrewer

#2 Post by Snowman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:09 pm

John

I have a lathe but it's an antique and wouldn't be a good machine for you to base an opinion of turning on. My suggestion is to come over to KC and pay a visit to the KC Wood Turners meeting. Here's a link.

http://www.kcwoodturners.org/

They have a monthly meeting and an open turning session atleast once a month. It's an older group of men for the most part but they are a great group. I use to hit a meeting now and again but determined time was better spent in other things I'm more interested in. If you just happen to find someone with a lathe and you want to mess around with it I can hook you up with some maple to turn.

KC Woodworkers Guild might be another option but won't be as specific to what it seems to be you want to learn.

http://www.kcwoodworkersguild.org/

If your wanting to learn to turn pens I have a book or two I could loan you. One last thing I would say is to talk to the guys at Woodcrafters in Overland Park.

When or should I say if you decide to buy I maybe able to help you find a good price. I was a full time finish carpenter and cabinet maker for 16yrs, still have pretty good connections.

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Greenblood » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:18 am

Jesus Jarrel, What don't you do? That is awesome info. Thanks a bunch. I will definately have to check out the turner club.

Thanks again.

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

fergmeister
Brewmaster

Lathe

#4 Post by fergmeister » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:24 pm

Metal or wood?
Opportunity favors the prepared mind

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Greenblood » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:27 am

Wood.

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

Matt
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by Matt » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:15 pm

John,

I had thought a while back about turning some nice tap handles myself. Not sure what sort of projects you have in mind, but if you end up going to one of those KC Woodturners meetings, please let me know. I'd love to tag along -- that is, if you'd like company.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing