No Boulevard Chocolate Ale for 2013

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

No Boulevard Chocolate Ale for 2013

#1 Post by Jensen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 am

Well that'll make for some sad folks...

http://www.lawrence.com/weblogs/bull-pe ... of-chocol/
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Boulevard Chocolate Ale for 2013

#2 Post by Frank » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 am

I don't think this will help their problem, one concern they sighted was keeping up with demand, and I fear it will never return. We all remember the frenzy this year, now multiply that by a 1-2 year hiatus. I feel that it will be worse because people will think they need to buy a 2 year supply all at once. While I am disappointed that any limited release beer is discontinued, I don't think this beer was good enough to warrant the fiasco that follows it. This whole thing reminds me of the "Beanie Baby" craze in the mid-late 90s only in this case there's not teams of Chinese children able to make enough to meet demand.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#3 Post by Pentaquark » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:49 am

I had two bottles from last year and they were part of the recalled/refunded batch. They tasted like PB+Js which was certainly interesting but not exactly what I was looking for.
-Allen

mushhawk
Little Beer

#4 Post by mushhawk » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Why don't they just make more of it?
If there's a high demand for something, just make a bigger batch.
You know they have the equipment for it.

You'd think since it was SO popular last year that they'd amp up the volume instead of nixing it all together this year.
Weird...
"...I was in Thailand, playing ping pong in Ding Dang..."

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Frank » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:27 pm

mushhawk wrote:Why don't they just make more of it?
There are at least two reasons I can think of why this is not possible. First they use a very specific chocolate from at specific chocolate maker. This is the primary reason this became so popular. The chocolate maker is world renowned and the beer was marketed as such. Second this is a barreled beer. Boulevard only has a limited amount of space for this beer as there are several others in their line-up that are barrel aged as well.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

JMcG
Brewmaster

#6 Post by JMcG » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Not sure that their attempts to ramp up production didn't contribute to the "quality problem" they had with this years edition.
Sometimes things aren't as simple as they ought to be.
jim