Tap recommendations

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

Tap recommendations

#1 Post by Pentaquark » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 am

I built a collar onto my keezer and now I'm looking for the shanks and faucets to make the taps. I've noticed that there are several metals used, ie. brass, SS, chrome-plated something, and wondered what some general choice-advice would be.

Should I stick to SS for durability? And what about Perlicks? Are they REALLY worth the extra dough?

I found a seemingly ridiculous price on a tap/flow control/shank combo that is chrome-plated brass but I'm not sure if I would regret a non-minimum quality faucet purchase in the future.

General thoughts?

And what's a good line cleaner?
-Allen

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

Re: Tap recommendations

#2 Post by Rob Martin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Chrome-plated brass will lose its plating over time.

My original faucet was a regular rear sealer. I switched to a front sealing (Perlick) because of mold issues. Rear sealing faucets in humid areas do not dry out well and mold will grow inside the faucet. First time I realized this was when I had a new friend over, poured him a new glass, and plop, out comes the mold plug.

Also, if the rear sealing faucet dry out too well, it can become 'stuck', meaning you have to give it a good pull to unstick it.

I would recommend SS all around. If however, you can't afford to, I would then recommend a Perlick and chrome plated brass shank.

Cleaners?

National Chemical's BLC (Beer Line Cleaner) is a good product. It must be rinsed thoroughly.

PBW is a good cleaner to have around your brewery as well.

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Rob Martin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Frank » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:55 pm

I think the Perlick 400 series is be best on the market. Pretty much the same as the newest 500s but cheaper. There's only 1 o-ring that could fail. Don't waste your money on "creamer" or "flow control" faucets. "Creamer" faucets only add more o-rings and moving/expensive parts. If your beer is carbed and dispensed from a properly balanced system it has no benefit. "Flow Control" is another gadget to over come an improperly designed or balanced serving system. Basically they increase liquid line back pressure to reduce foaming a the tap. This increased back pressure can be over come by having a properly long liquid line and correct serving PSI.

An all stainless too,
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry