Keggle cleaning on brew day?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Matt
Uberbrewer

Keggle cleaning on brew day?

#1 Post by Matt » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Anybody have any tips on making keggle washing easier at the end of the day? I'm getting a great upper-body workout every time I brew (because I brew solo, without a permanent rig, which means setting everything up, brewing, washing everything, and putting everything away each time I use it). No permanent, welded rig on casters that I can just pull away from the garage wall when I want to brew. Just setting up takes about 20 minutes and about 10-15 trips in and out of the house.

But that part isn't so bad. It's the clean up that's the real time-suck and energy drain. Especially cleaning my keggles. And if I'm ever going to brew more often than I do now, which I'd like, the way I do things now would break even a young man's back eventually.

So, I've gotten to daydreaming about ways to make a "cleaning rack" -- an barrel cradle of sorts that's chest high, that would let me put each keggle on a rack that's at like a 60-degree angle for easy scrubbing. Four simple, soft caster wheels inside the rack, where the barrel makes contact, would let me spin the keggle inside the cradle, and would prevent the stainless from getting all dented and scratched up. At this 60-degree angle, I could spray out the inside and just let the water flow out with all of the grain and hop debris. The end goal is less lifting and dumping. I'd rig up some plumbing on the rack with a high-pressure sprayer head (or two or three), so instead of bending down and holding a hose, I could just hook a hose up to the rack and open a valve.

I'm basically looking to do with my keggles what we've already done with our corny kegs and carboys. Simplify and automate.

I'd still have to get in there with a scrubby and some barkeepers friend, but I could just flip the keggle, so it was 60-degrees facing up, then flip it again to spray it out. (Now, designing something hinged so that it flips in place, without additional lifting of the keggle would be amazing, but would turn a simple, folding, X-x frame concept into a much more complicated build.) Hell at that point, we might as well motorize and program the thing so it automates the entire cleaning job, and sell it on MoreBeer for a $1,000 or more. :)

Ideally though, somebody's already found something similar, or has some other tricks to share on keggle washing that could make my life easier. I'm going to be using my keggle-based system until I'm able to get 25 gallon pots, so that could be a while. Plus I'm sure there are others out there using keggles who would also kill for such a rack.

Well, that's my daydream anyway. Tips, tricks, ways to simplify clean-up -- all would be welcomed. Any welders out there who might like to try building something like this with me, are encouraged to get in touch.

Thanks!
Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing