WANTED: 1/6 barrel keg for kegging beer

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WANTED: 1/6 barrel keg for kegging beer

#16 Post by Frank » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Looks like you got it. That keg looks like it's in good shape too. I would browse the links and see what you'd like to play for the system, generally the best deals are packages that include regulator, tubing, taps(even picnic ones, and disconnects. Generally don't need to get a CO2 bottle or kegs via mail because shipping negates any savings. Local sorces for kegs and co2 bottles are best. There are a few CO2's for spell in the swapmeet section and local brew shops carry kegs. Around the area HomeBrew Pro Shoppe in Olathe generally has the best prices on kegs that are in decent shape.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Blktre
BrewLegend

#17 Post by Blktre » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:44 pm

We do a kegging seminar every year the month before brewfest
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

HazyKnight

#18 Post by HazyKnight » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:40 am

FDillon00 wrote: Using a deep freeze to make a "Kreezer" (Keg-orator + Freezer, is how the world is derived).
Staring out looks like this.
Starting all you need is a deep freeze, a temperature controller and a basic picnic tap. Starting out all you need to do is open the lid and serve via the picnic tap.
The image shows a deep freeze with an external temp controller. Has anyone tried setting the internal temp controller?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-s ... ol-249612/
- HazyKnight / Eric

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#19 Post by Jensen » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:32 pm

FDillon00 wrote: (Keg-orator + Freezer, is how the world is derived)
Spoken like a true beer geek. :drunken:
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by Frank » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:23 pm

HazyKnight wrote: The image shows a deep freeze with an external temp controller. Has anyone tried setting the internal temp controller?
I have however this came out after I build my systems. Also all my builds involve not messing around with the "stock" refrigeration controls. For example using a Johnson on my deep freeze. Now I have installed a Love controller on my fermentation fridge but I didn't modify anything I just by passed the stock temp controller with the stock connectors and wiring. All my builds can be "un-converted" if necessary and still work as intended. Something just doesn't set well with me messing around with the internals of a thermostat.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Matt
Uberbrewer

#21 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:37 pm

FDillon00 wrote:All my builds can be "un-converted" if necessary and still work as intended. Something just doesn't set well with me messing around with the internals of a thermostat.
+1 -- well, except for drilling holes for taps through the door of a fridge. But then, who would want to EVER un-do that? :)

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

mushhawk
Little Beer

#22 Post by mushhawk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:05 am

So, I was able to track down a 1/6th barrel keg to purchase.
The one I took a picture of and posted on here is just a loaner.
I bought one for $25 from our friend Lisa who is a LBG member.
Thanks to Lisa!!
It looks just like my loaner Corny Keg, but has a black top instead of blue.

One concern though....when I filled it up with water and sanitizer, I turned it upside down (with the lid fastened), to test it's seal.
It dripped some water out slowly. Is that normal, since it's not under pressure? Will it tighten up with CO2 pressure? Or does that mean the seal is no good?
The gasket around the lid is in good shape.

Thanks for the info.
"...I was in Thailand, playing ping pong in Ding Dang..."

Matt
Uberbrewer

#23 Post by Matt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 am

Hey mushhawk,

Glad you found a keg to buy. It's nit-picking on my part, but you'll want to refer to it as a ball-lock corny keg, not a 1/6 barrel. They're roughly the same volume, but really, it's the connectors that make a keg (and when people say 1/6 barrel keg, they typically mean a Sanke connector, not ball-lock). This is just a "for future reference" sort of thing, so you can be sure everyone is on the same page as you.

The one you got from Lisa was a STEAL at $25, so yes, you are wise to thank her profusely. :) Knowing Lisa, I'm sure it is in great shape and will seal up just fine under pressure. (Yes, they can and do drip when they're not pressurized with CO2. If you put gas in it and are still experiencing leaks, a replacement O-ring kit is pretty inexpensive. A little keg lube doesn't hurt either. New poppets are also fairly reasonable, and do need replacing eventually. I recommend getting these things through Foxx Equipment, if you can, but you'll need to be a retailer to shop there (they're a wholesale shop). *wink wink nudge nudge* There are people in the club who can help in that regard, but try to do it on the DL and ask nicely.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#24 Post by Pentaquark » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:11 am

I have done an 'internal' PID-style control element if you're interested in some pointers.

-Allen