Stirring the wort while running an immersion chiller?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

bike2brew
Homebrewer

Stirring the wort while running an immersion chiller?

#1 Post by bike2brew » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:32 pm

In another forum somebody said that "when using an IM chiller, the most important thing is to stir the wort around the coils. It's absolutely crucial." Has anybody in the Guild ever tried this? I always thought that when cooling the wort it should be kept covered. Would it hurt to lift the lid once in a while and give the wort a stir? I assume this would be with a sanitized spoon and done gently enough without splashing to avoid hot side aeration. The last time I brewed I ran two chillers with the first one being in an ice bucket, but I'm still not satisfied with the length of time it takes to chill the wort.

Thanks.
Support Independent Craft Breweries.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:45 pm

The reason they say that is so the wert doesnt stratify around the coils resulting in poor eff. Your wert will cool tons faster by following the advice. Ive experiemented with closing the lid at flameout to partially keeping the lid on in terms of reducing DMS. My thought is that even at flameout, steam is still produced and a closed lid still might possibly cause DMS. So now, its on partially. If you want to use a sanitized spoon, go ahead, but i dont think its totally necessary. As far as HSA, dont worry about it. Personally think its a myth. But i dont intentionally splash my wert either. So again, not a worry. Go ahead and stir that will help your times, but looking into post/pre chillers on full boils this time of year is a must.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

BJ1833
Little Beer

#3 Post by BJ1833 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:39 am

I'll just take the lid off and pull the IC up and down. Aerating and cooling! :D

It does cut some time (and water) out of the cooling process.

Bill
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Bill » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:28 pm

I've always stirred using either my plastic mash paddle (sterilized of course) or by swirling the IC around (trying not to hit the sides or bottom).

This is the first time I have heard of HSA. What are the downfalls of aerating your wort while chilling? As soon as it is chilled you are supposed to aerate the hell out of it, so why would it matter if you do it while it is still hot? Not like the boil keeps O2 out either.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

philip
Homebrewer

#5 Post by philip » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:16 pm

I recirculate the wort while cooling with an immersion chiller. Works great. Once the wort is below 80F I start spraying the wort back into the kettle and I add the yeast at this point. The hop bed is not fine enough to trap the yeast. Lots of aeration and the yeast is well dispersed.

I did not invent this approach. I got the idea from Ray Daniels.

bike2brew
Homebrewer

#6 Post by bike2brew » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm

RE: Hot side aeration. According to John Palmers book, it's supposed to result in off flavors and aromas like cardboard or sherry. You're supposed to be real careful with hot wort, no splashing or aerating, until it get's below 80 degrees.

RE: Recirculating wort. I suppose that requires a pump?
Support Independent Craft Breweries.

philip
Homebrewer

#7 Post by philip » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:24 pm

bike2brew wrote:RE: Recirculating wort. I suppose that requires a pump?
Yes.