Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Dry

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Blktre
BrewLegend

Re: Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Dry

#16 Post by Blktre » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:31 pm

There are 4 pks left in a brown paper bag with my name on it that's in their fridge. I thought he said he was getting extra to keep on hand. Forgot to ask when I was in there.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

JMcG
Brewmaster

#17 Post by JMcG » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Three left now.
jim

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#18 Post by Joe Yoder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:06 am

I am curious as to others experience with this yeast. I am disappointed. The lag time between pitching and full on fermentation was much longer than I usually experience with liquid yeast that I have stepped up. I used 4 packages in 18 or so gallons, so it should have been plenty. I followed the instructions on the package and rehydrated the dry yeast. Lag time was greater than 24 hours. Temperature was a bit lower than usual, but I had another batch right beside it using a stepped up batch of White Labs 001, that started much sooner.
It is still in primary, so I don't know how well it attenuates, but I prefer much shorter lag times.
Anyone else have any experience with this yeast?
Joe

Blktre
BrewLegend

#19 Post by Blktre » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am

What people are saying is you must rehydrate and pitch more than 1 pkg per 5g. My plan is to use 3 pkg in 10g then cultivate. Everyone is saying there is more of a lag than normal but once it starts it chews through nicely. I figure the extra initial pitch and cultivation things should work out pretty good with it. Nobody has complained of under attenuation and floccing capabilities that I have read.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#20 Post by Joe Yoder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the info, Andy. At 5 dollars a packet, using more than 4 per 20 gallon batch is no bargain. I guess it saves making a starter, but unless the final results are amazing, I'll stick to liquid yeast.
Joe

Matt
Uberbrewer

#21 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:55 pm

I used this recently on a double-IPA. It's still in the fermenter, about to get cold-crashed tonight, but my initial tastes were good. There was a lot of latency on the initial signs of fermentation, but I did a very small pitch (un-typical for me, but then so is my use of dry yeast in general), so that slow start was expected. I fermented at 66-67 degrees, and the results were a very clean, but overall pretty underwhelming, yeast profile -- but then, with all the Galaxy hops in it, I never expected to detect much. :)

I too will likely stick to cheaper, easily propped-up liquid yeasts.

I'll bring some to a meeting to share.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

JMcG
Brewmaster

#22 Post by JMcG » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Lag time long, as noted, but finished quickly once it started. No off flavors.
Pitched on yeast cake for another beer, took off quickly, then slowed. Finished OK, but not as flocculent as the first.
Having trouble clearing, even with cold crash.
Probably will stick with the tried and true for future brews.
jim