Brewstand burners

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Brewstand burners

#1 Post by Jensen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:24 pm

Well we are finally in the process of building our brewing stand. 1? square tubing 1/8? thick is going to be used for the frame. We have all the steel and the plans drawn, but we don?t want to start until we get the burners for proper fitting. We are looking a Northern Brewer?s burners http://www.northernbrewer.com/burners.html . We are just going to buy the burners without the stands because they are going to be hard-wired in. The hurricane looks good for the boil kettle?not because of BTU, but for the wide flame placement under the kettle. The small 100,000 BTU 10-jets for the mash and hot liquor tanks. Are these good choices? Has anyone had experience with these? Any other suggestions as to what might be good? We are entertaining all propane suggestions.

Thanks!

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Ive heard decent things about the hurricane burners. What i like about them is how well it spreads out the flame. But im a horsepower/cheapo guy and 60,000 btu's and that hi dollar price scares me away. I buy my ring burners from Agri supply. They push 170,000 btu's each and cost 7.99. I have a FB in my kettle and not once have i scorched or carmelized my wert using this setup. I do like your choice of the 10 jet for your MT. It wont take much heat to raise your grain bed temps with that. Just make sure you get the proper NG/Propane orifice for your application. Shane uses the NG setup and likes it in his kettle and HLT.
Questions tho, if you have a RIMS, why do you want a burner under your MT? You are using a FB in your MT if you go the burner route arent you? And, are you still step mashing? Ive got some more questions, but ill ask later.....Oh, i think your tubing size will work just fine! You going single tier or 2 tier??

:twisted: :twisted:

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgi ... 000000&l=1
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:32 am

Redundancy is one of the main reasons for the mash tun burner. I still do step mash at times to test the differences in clarity with a single step infusion. Also, I use the burner to raise the water temp before mash-in (twice as fast if half the volume is in the hot liquor tank as well). I don?t like to use my heating element to try to raise the temp more than a point or two, and if there is a problem with the rims heating element, or thermocouple, I can still maintain temp with the burner. Also, for mash out, it is real nice to take the mash up to 168 quickly with the aid of a burner.
We are going one up, two down. The MT will be in the middle up high. Pump HLT sparge to MT and gravity feed to boil kettle, and then gravity feed to the fermentor. We thought this would be nice for stability, and adding water to the HLT. Haven?t really seen it done this way before, but with a pump there shouldn?t be a problem. Hope we aren?t trying to reinvent the wheel by doing it this way though.

philip
Homebrewer

#4 Post by philip » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:41 pm

Actually I've seen several rigs setup with the MT high and center. I too have a RIMS and I still use direct fire to the MT for all the reasons Jensen stated. Works well.

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Jensen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks for reassuring our thoughts on the mash tun up high Phillip. I hope you are at the meeting on Thursday. I have a few Rims ideas I'd like to bounce off you.