Tubing Size

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Tubing Size

#1 Post by Jensen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Taking a little poll to see what see what size tubing people use in their brewery for racking, co2, and dispensing. Do you try to keep it all the same or use different sizes?
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

Re: Tubing Size

#2 Post by Steve Brown » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 am

Very basic system; I'm not worried about balancing.

Racking: 7/16 X 5/16 fits my auto-syphon. Home Depot sells 20' rolls of clear vinyl tubing for about $4.50 for this size.
CO2: Bevflex204 - the red line, same as the club uses
Dispensing: standard pre-fab Foxx picnic tap with about a foot of tubing; maybe 3/16 ID?

--Steve
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin

toolman
Homebrewer

Re: Tubing Size

#3 Post by toolman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 am

brew tubing- 1/2" silicone

racking tubing is 3/8" vinyl and will probably migrate to silicone as it needs replaced, as it is more suited to hi temp cleaning, tube pinch clamps, and flexibility. i tried 1/2" racking canes but like the 3/8 better as the flow rate is considerably more gentle.

i am working to change most of my beer lines and co2 lines to 1/4 flare to allow more flexibility in configuration of using a mixture of ball lock, pin lock, and sanke quick connects. 1/4 tube size fittings are the least expensive so i will change out the tubing as i go to 1/4. most of us are not using long runs of pressure tubing, so 1/4 is adequate for flow/pressure loss. i really like the bevflex clear that i bought from midwest supplies and will most likely use it as i replenish. although i have some red co2 lines, those will also be changed out to clear so i can see if i have any beer backing up in the lines (sometimes the checkvalves leak) . mcmaster carr is the least expensive source of 1/4 flare fittings.

dispensing is a dukes mixture and will probably stay that way as the bulkhead fittings dictate. i will just use 1/4 flare to add flexibility in connections.

snapper clamps on brew and racking tubing, oetiker clamps on everything else