Mashing --> single-step vs multi-step

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

ParkerBrew
Homebrewer

Mashing --> single-step vs multi-step

#1 Post by ParkerBrew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Just upgraded my mash tun from the gatorade cooler to a keggle. This paves the way to do easier multi-step mashes. Not having done a multi-step mash...do most folks do multi-step mashes if they have the capability to? Wondering if it's worth the extra effort?
Next Brew: IIPA 3.6, SIPA 1.7, Choc Stout 3.4 - Sep 9
Fermenting: Barley Wine 1.2
Conditioning: 1Red Rye Ale, Berliner Weisse 1.1, SIPA 1.6
On Tap: IPA 2.8, Matilda Clone 1.1, Choc Stout 3.3, Soda Water

Cheers, Matt Parker

JMcG
Brewmaster

Re: Mashing --> single-step vs multi-step

#2 Post by JMcG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:35 pm

I don't have heat in my mash tun, so only do single step, typically, and "mash out" in the kettle.
Others should comment, but my impression is with modern malting techniques, if your grain bill has enough base malt (and time) to convert any specialty grains, its not needed, but can give you more control: increase or decrease in head retention (protein rest), for example; or possibly a drier beer with a two step saccharification rest. Adjusting your grain bill will influence these things if you don't step mash.
It'd be another set of factors you can control (or worry about).
jim

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Rob Martin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 pm

I have a very nice HERMS set up....and don't even use it. I tend to brew just about more lager than anyone I know in LBG sans Jim McGovern (if I'm overlooking somebody, sorry). Hence my current on tap:

Primary: empty
Secondary: Schwarzbier
On tap: Maerzen, Czech Pils

We use a cooler mash tun which is why I procurred a HERMS for step mashing. For us, it is a PITA. Inevitably we get a stuck sparge because the pump creates too much of a draw on the grain bed.

Some people state that with today's malt technology, step mashing is not needed. I'm not so sure I agree. If we want to really make an authentic malty lager, we do a true decoction. I think it is more rewarding too.

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#4 Post by Rugger1978 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:16 am

Rob, I primarily only brew lagers also! lmao! :P And I only do single step mashes as I currently still using a cooler and batch sparging. I do mash for 90 minutes no matter what I'm making to insure I get close to full conversion as possible.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

JMcG
Brewmaster

#5 Post by JMcG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 am

Rob Martin wrote:I have a very nice HERMS set up....and don't even use it. I tend to brew just about more lager than anyone I know in LBG sans Jim McGovern (if I'm overlooking somebody, sorry).
I don't do too many lagers anymore, too busy brewing IPA's for Jody! :lol:
jim

ParkerBrew
Homebrewer

#6 Post by ParkerBrew » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am

Haven't tried a lager yet, although it's on my list for next winter. I go for a lot of IPA, Ale, Stout type styles. I also want to start including more wheat and a little rye into my recipies.

Been using gravity for my lautering out of the cooler mash tun. I haven't splurged for the pump yet, so I'll give gravity a try the first time or two with the keggle. I have an awesome terrace off my back patio to get a good head differential. No stuck sparges yet...

Cheers, Matt Parker

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Rob Martin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:02 pm

ParkerBrew wrote:Haven't tried a lager yet, although it's on my list for next winter. I go for a lot of IPA, Ale, Stout type styles. I also want to start including more wheat and a little rye into my recipies.

Been using gravity for my lautering out of the cooler mash tun. I haven't splurged for the pump yet, so I'll give gravity a try the first time or two with the keggle. I have an awesome terrace off my back patio to get a good head differential. No stuck sparges yet...
With these types of beers, and with the quality of modified malts, IMO, multi-step mashing would be a waste of time and effort.

ParkerBrew
Homebrewer

#8 Post by ParkerBrew » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks for the input everybody. So far it seems that single step is the popular way to go.

Cheers, Matt Parker