Motorizing a grain mill . . . . . . without a drill

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

rushrich
Homebrewer

Motorizing a grain mill . . . . . . without a drill

#1 Post by rushrich » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:05 pm

I am looking to create a motorized grain mill and attach it to the top of an existing cabinet that is on casters.

While I have seen motorized grain mills that either run on hand drills or are belt driven. . . I am trying to see if there would be a gear box that I could attach either inside or outside that could work.

I am not very mechanically inclined, which only adds to the problem, but I am concerned about finding something that will work, is not that hard to setup and will not be dangerous (won't small grain particulate get into the gearbox or do they make some that withstand particulate without the risk of fire/explosion/no fun times?)

In summary

1. What grain mill do you think works the best and why?

2. How can I motorize a grain mill easily without a drill?

Thanks in advance!!!
~Rich Greenwood~

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Motorizing a grain mill . . . . . . without a drill

#2 Post by Frank » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:34 pm

I am with you Rich. If you come across a deal on 2 of something you only need 1 of for your motorizing process pick it up. I'll be in for it.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

ParkerBrew
Homebrewer

#3 Post by ParkerBrew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 am

That's also on my list of things to do sometime in the future. I was planning to use a motor out of an old piece of woodworking machinery; table saw, band saw, drill press, belt sander, etc.

I've heard the 3-roller mills are the way to go.
Next Brew: IIPA 3.6, SIPA 1.7, Choc Stout 3.4 - Sep 9
Fermenting: Barley Wine 1.2
Conditioning: 1Red Rye Ale, Berliner Weisse 1.1, SIPA 1.6
On Tap: IPA 2.8, Matilda Clone 1.1, Choc Stout 3.3, Soda Water

Cheers, Matt Parker

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#4 Post by Rugger1978 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 pm

I motorized my grain mill and love it. Just need to find you a gear motor that has an rpm of 100 to 200 and a minimum of 30 in-lb torque. You could do as low as 16 in-lb but you would have to have the mill running before you added grain as you wouldn't have enough torque to start once grain is in between the rollers. Once you have the motor and know it's shaft size, go to McMaster-Carr and order spider couplings (also known as lovejoy connectors). You'll need to order 3 pieces: the coupling that goes on the shaft of your motor, coupling that goes on the shaft of the grain mill, and the correct size spider coupling. Note that the shaft on the motor could be a different size then the grain mill, so you might have to buy couplings with different size shaft holes, but make sure they both use the same size spider coupling. Then it's a matter of some simple wiring and installation. I documented my build on my brewing Facebook page.

McMaster-Carr "lovejoy" connectors:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/1171/=m8fbmh

My Fat Back brewing motorizing grain mill documented:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 055&type=3
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

#5 Post by Sláinte! » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Rugger1978 wrote:I motorized my grain mill and love it. Just need to find you a gear motor that has an rpm of 100 to 200 and a minimum of 30 in-lb torque. You could do as low as 16 in-lb but you would have to have the mill running before you added grain as you wouldn't have enough torque to start once grain is in between the rollers. Once you have the motor and know it's shaft size, go to McMaster-Carr and order spider couplings (also known as lovejoy connectors). You'll need to order 3 pieces: the coupling that goes on the shaft of your motor, coupling that goes on the shaft of the grain mill, and the correct size spider coupling. Note that the shaft on the motor could be a different size then the grain mill, so you might have to buy couplings with different size shaft holes, but make sure they both use the same size spider coupling. Then it's a matter of some simple wiring and installation. I documented my build on my brewing Facebook page.

McMaster-Carr "lovejoy" connectors:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/1171/=m8fbmh

My Fat Back brewing motorizing grain mill documented:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 055&type=3

^^What he said. Toolman may be able to provide advice on motor/controller combinations that allow smooth ramp up to operating RPM.

Rugger - What is your source for the minimum 30 in-lbf torque value? Did you measure & calculate it yourself, read it somewhere, etc?
Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tap: Scottish Export 80
Primary: Empty
Secondary/Lagering: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cherry-Infused Bourbon Barrel Porter, '100' American Barleywine, Midas Touch Clone II, Doppelsticke Altbier

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#6 Post by Rugger1978 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:14 pm

It was a number that a few people around on the web calculated. With all the research I did before I built mine, I read time and time again people's accounts of motorizing their own grain mills and each time, if they had a motor down on the low range of torque, they couldn't start it if grain was already in it.

However, you can do the calculation yourself to determine how much your grain mill with it's gap setting needs. Put some grain in your mill and hang a bucket from the handle. Then start adding water to the bucket till it moves. Weigh the bucket and measure your handle length in inches. Multiply the two together and that will give you your MINIMAL lb-in needed to start your mill when grain is in it.

Cheers!
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

#7 Post by Sláinte! » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Rugger1978 wrote:It was a number that a few people around on the web calculated. With all the research I did before I built mine, I read time and time again people's accounts of motorizing their own grain mills and each time, if they had a motor down on the low range of torque, they couldn't start it if grain was already in it.

However, you can do the calculation yourself to determine how much your grain mill with it's gap setting needs. Put some grain in your mill and hang a bucket from the handle. Then start adding water to the bucket till it moves. Weigh the bucket and measure your handle length in inches. Multiply the two together and that will give you your MINIMAL lb-in needed to start your mill when grain is in it.

Cheers!
We use a corded drill to run our mill and haven't talked seriously about semi-permanently motorizing it. It's good to know there seems to be some test data behind the minimum recommended torque value though.

There are two additional procedures that should be followed when testing for the minimum required torque value:

1. Since the vertically downward pull of gravity is being used to exert the load on the mill's handle, the handle should be as close to horizontal as possible. A slight angle is okay, but the error compounds quickly if it's more than 15° from the horizontal. It is an error in the conservative direction though.

2. The hopper should be full of grain when testing. This is more important if you have an expanded hopper that is quite tall.

Also, to expand on what Rugger1978 said, the mill's gap needs to be set properly before testing. If you test and calculate your torque value based on rollers that are set too wide and buy a motor with similar output, your motor might not have enough torque to mill in all situations when the rollers are moved closer together.
Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tap: Scottish Export 80
Primary: Empty
Secondary/Lagering: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cherry-Infused Bourbon Barrel Porter, '100' American Barleywine, Midas Touch Clone II, Doppelsticke Altbier

rushrich
Homebrewer

#8 Post by rushrich » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 pm

All excellent answers. Thanks!

What brand/model of mill does everyone have?

Is three rollers better than two?
~Rich Greenwood~

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#9 Post by Rugger1978 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:33 am

Or you can just over kill it like me and never worry about it. The motor I got is an 150 rpm and 180 in-lb of torque! LOL. I just hope I never get a rock or anything in my grain, it would probably f up my rollers....

There is much debate about 2 rollers vs 3 rollers, but in the end 2 rollers are going to get the job done with ease and I don't see a reason to move to 3. Pretty much all the grain mills on the market today are good quality. It really like a Chevy vs Ford thing, hehe. I personally have the JSP Maltmill AA which is adjustable on both ends and comes with a small hopper by default . It's been great and I have no complaints, however if I were to do it over, I'd probably get the single side adjustable with the gear drive option as it would probably work a little better motorized. I know a lot of other people use Monster mills or the Barley Crushers, but in the end they are all pretty much the same, imo.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing

Matt
Uberbrewer

#10 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 am

Motorizing my mill has long been on my To Do List also. But finding a motor with the desired low RPM and high torque has proven VERY difficult without spending a ton of money. I too would rather do a spider/lovejoy coupling than set up flywheels and belts, so please let me know if you come across something suitable.

If there are a few available, maybe several of us can go in on a bulk order and save on the shipping, which will be significant given their weight.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Matt
Uberbrewer

#11 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 am

Jared, what is the make and model of your motor? Can anyone who's direct-driving their mill give us some makes/models/part numbers to search for?

Thanks
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

kevputo
Homebrewer

#12 Post by kevputo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 am

I came across Oriental Motor when I was looking awhile back. They have some as low as $155 with free shipping.

Here's one rated for 37in-lbs & 100rpm: http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... id=3001023
And another rated for 30in-lbs & 120rpm: http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... id=3001023

FWIW, I eventually decided to keep using my $20 Bargain Depot drill.
Kevin Hansen

Blktre
BrewLegend

#13 Post by Blktre » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 am

You want the beefy bodine. Add a coupler and a start cap and in business for cheap money.

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mercha ... y_Code=MTR
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#14 Post by Rugger1978 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm

I purchased a Bodine ECI-582E2 154 RPM 180 in-lb torque motor off of ebay. I had contacted Bodine with help on wiring and during the process they told me that it was a custom made motor for Zerox. I paid $125.00 for it. Damn thing cost me as much as my grain mill, but it mills 30lbs of grain in less then 10 minutes.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing

Blktre
BrewLegend

#15 Post by Blktre » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Rugger1978 wrote:I purchased a Bodine ECI-582E2 154 RPM 180 in-lb torque motor off of ebay. I had contacted Bodine with help on wiring and during the process they told me that it was a custom made motor for Zerox. I paid $125.00 for it. Damn thing cost me as much as my grain mill, but it mills 30lbs of grain in less then 10 minutes.
About 10yrs ago the Bodine I posted was all the rage. Only $18.00. A lot of mills out there use it. I don't own one but people still like them so I've read over the years.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough