Woes with leaks and aeration

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

Woes with leaks and aeration

#1 Post by Sláinte! » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:35 pm

I am having a problem with one of my kegs.

It is a pin lock keg; I bought it (used) near the end of last year. It was holding pressure when I bought it and I did not take it apart for several months. At that time, it was still holding pressure.

After a thorough cleaning and sanitizing I filled it with beer. Afterwards, the keg would not hold pressure. I could find no audible leaks and could not see any bubbles form when I spritzed the various sealing locations with a Star San solution. However, when I connected my gas fitting to the gas post, I could hear gas leaking from the fitting. The beer would also serve very frothy and muddy-looking (it's a dark lager) and there is definitely a lot of air coming out with the beer. You can see the bubbles in the fluid line when serving.

Tonight I replaced the poppet valves and the o-rings on the posts. Now the keg seems to be holding pressure (I'll know better after it has sat off the cylinder for a while) and I no longer hear the gas leaking when the gas fitting is connected. However, I STILL have the same aeration problem when serving. I also cannot detect a leak, either audibly or by spritzing Star San. I was serving with a picnic tap; I switched to a different picnic tap that I had been using with a different keg with no issues but I still have aeration problems. I even squirted Star San into the relief valve when the keg was on the cylinder but did not see any evidence of a leak there, either.

What should I try next? Do I need a different leak detector? I have had minor keg leaks before but nothing that caused such aeration issues.
Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tap: Scottish Export 80
Primary: Empty
Secondary/Lagering: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cherry-Infused Bourbon Barrel Porter, '100' American Barleywine, Midas Touch Clone II, Doppelsticke Altbier

JMcG
Brewmaster

Re: Woes with leaks and aeration

#2 Post by JMcG » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 am

Just a guess: I'd check the out dip tube for schmutz somewhere up inside?
jim

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Rob Martin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:27 pm

JMcG
Brewmaster

#4 Post by JMcG » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Rob, you're a mensch.
jim

Matt
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:45 pm

And you're sure it's not the QD that's got a bad gasket or something?

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

#6 Post by Sláinte! » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Matt wrote:And you're sure it's not the QD that's got a bad gasket or something?

Matt
I tried two different quick disconnects, each with its own picnic tap attached. One of the QD-PT units was being used without issue on a different keg. The same problem manifested itself with each unit.
Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cherry-Infused Bourbon Barrel Porter, '100' American Barleywine, Midas Touch Clone II, Doppelsticke Altbier

Matt
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Matt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm

I figured as much... but wanted to rule it out.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#8 Post by Rob Martin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 am

JMcG wrote:Rob, you're a mensch.
jim
That would make you an Übermensch

JMcG
Brewmaster

#9 Post by JMcG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Rob Martin wrote:
JMcG wrote:Rob, you're a mensch.
jim
That would make you an Übermensch
Sie sind zu freundlich.

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

#10 Post by Sláinte! » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:26 pm

I found the culprit(s). I changed out the o-ring dip tubes and now there are no more leaks. I think I was not able to get enough StarSan shot up underneath the posts and that is why I could not see any bubbles.

While I was at it, I changed the lid's o-ring, too.
Dan