Homegrown Hops

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

kevputo
Homebrewer

Homegrown Hops

#1 Post by kevputo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 am

A question for those of you with experience growing hops: Is it better to err on the side of picking them too early, or too late? What are the risks of picking too early if I use them fresh/wet, or if I make sure I get them fully dried before storage?

I've got a good looking crop on the vine this year, and they are currently still pretty sticky/springy with lots of yellow lupulin goodness inside. Everything I've read on the subject states that hops they are ready to pick when the cones feel dry and don't spring back after you squeeze them. I'd say they don't fit that description of dry yet, but am getting antsy and feeling the need to go ahead and pick them anyway.

The problem I've ran into the past couple of years is that apparently my definition of what dry feels like must be too dry. By the time the cones felt dry to me they looked pretty much completely brown, the lupulin seemed to be gone or at least not as visible, and the flavor was greatly diminished. So at that point I've assumed they were left too long and didn't bother picking them at all.

Should I have picked the crispy/brown cones and used them anyway? I just figured what I picked should look somewhat similar to what the purchased hops look like.

Should I pick this year's crop now/soon before they get brown & crispy, or hold off a little longer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Kevin Hansen

phil6253
Homebrewer

Re: Homegrown Hops

#2 Post by phil6253 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 am

I tried the drying thing and wasn't impressed. Last year I picked them green and froze them and they have maintained fairly well. I'm a novice hop grower at best, but do enjoy the idea of using my own hops in some of my beers. I've got a decent crop this year and plan on doing something similar.
Phil

Matt
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:29 pm

It would be an excellent seminar! I'm looking at the same situation. Not sure when to harvest. Not sure how to dehydrate.
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Ace
Craft Brewer

#4 Post by Ace » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:10 pm

My Brewer's Gold produced about a gallon bag full last year. I cut down the bines and cut off the cones into a boulevard box. Over several days I spread the cones over some flat boxes to dry them and then froze them. I brewed with them recently with a decent result.
This is the third year my hops have been in the ground, and the other two are producing as well this year. I would suggest against Willamette, it doesn't seem to do as well as the Nugget and Brewer's gold.

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#5 Post by johnpepin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:12 pm

I've been growing several varitys for years now and have had good luck. I pick them about the time that the majority of the cones are just starting to brown on the tips. I let them dry for a few days and vaccuum bag and place in the freezer.

I brewed 10 gallons of a 1.055 O.G. APA a few weeks ago, I used all of the 2012 crop, about 16 OZ. When I transfered it to the kegs it was alot like the O'dell's IPG aroma.

Relax don't worry, Have another Homebrew. Everything we make is a piece of art to share with family and freinds.

Prost!!

John Pepin

Matt
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by Matt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:19 pm

When you say you let them dry for a few days, could you give some more details on that?

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Ace
Craft Brewer

#7 Post by Ace » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Someone brought hops in gallon pots to a meeting early this spring. I brought home a cascade plant and put it in the ground, and it grew about 6' tall and has hops on it. I hear cascade is the one to grow around here. I think its got more hops on it than my 3 yo Willamette.

Matt
Uberbrewer

#8 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:25 pm

My Cascade are also producing well this year (2yr).

I have a food dehydrator, and I've also seen some people using box fans with screens to air-dry them. Others have just said lay them out and let them air-dry.

I have a vacuum sealer and freezer space. I just need to know how best to prepare them -- freeze them right off the bine, or dry them first -- and if so, what's the best way?
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

JMcG
Brewmaster

#9 Post by JMcG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Know a guy locally who grows centennials with great success and read they typically do well around here.
jim

Ace
Craft Brewer

#10 Post by Ace » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Freeze them after drying. I had some frozen condensation in my ziploc despite their dryness.

ParkerBrew
Homebrewer

#11 Post by ParkerBrew » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 pm

First year hop grower myself, so take it for what it's worth. I did an early harvest, ran them through my counter top dehydrator for about 18 hours, then put them in ziplock freezer bags for a few weeks. I just used them last week, so the jury is still out on how they taste. I didn't have condensation issues, but it was only for about 20 days. Next year I will probably vacuum pack them when they go into the freezer.
Next Brew: IIPA 3.6, SIPA 1.7, Choc Stout 3.4 - Sep 9
Fermenting: Barley Wine 1.2
Conditioning: 1Red Rye Ale, Berliner Weisse 1.1, SIPA 1.6
On Tap: IPA 2.8, Matilda Clone 1.1, Choc Stout 3.3, Soda Water

Cheers, Matt Parker

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#12 Post by johnpepin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Regarding let them dry for a few days, toss them around a bit and vaccuum bag in 4 to 5 days. If longer no worries. If you see that the Lupuilan oils " golden yellow inside" is falling out then pack them up. Thats the suff your looking for.