August 2013 Tasting: Imperial IPA

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

dbüscher
Homebrewer

August 2013 Tasting: Imperial IPA

#1 Post by dbüscher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:48 am

8/14/13

IIPA.

Love it or hate it.

If you love it, a good IIPA is like crack to any homebrewer, as evidenced by the Godfather of all IIPAs, Pliny the Elder by Russian River being 5 years running Zymurgy beer of the year as voted on by AHA members.

Kind of like wine to homebrewers, makes us use all sorts of pretentious-sounding usually made up adjectives to describe flavors and aromas like piny, grassy, fruity, florally, citrusy, grapefruity, sexgasmy, etc. Next time you’re in public enjoying a nice IIPA and getting perplexed looks from bystanders because you have your nose buried in the glass, yeah, you’re that jackass.

Relax. Don’t worry, you’re amongst friends in the LBG. So go ahead and savor those spicy, citrusy, and am-I-getting-stone-fruit? iso-alpha and beta acids.

And for those of you who have been consistently turned off by examples that are overly bittered to the extent that nothing else is distinguishable, don’t worry, I’m with you. I intend to present hop-forward ales that are also well-balanced and not bitter-bombs. Of course that is completely subjective, but it is my goal anyway.

Pröst!

Duane
Biermeister
On-tap: Holy Hop Grenade, Coffee Amber Ale, Coco(a)nut Ale, Cracked Pepper Hibiscus Belgian, Doppelbach, Sidney Portier, American Barleywine

Lagering/Conditioning: Munich Dunkel, AAB Maibock, Brett Rye IPA, Russian Imperial Stout

On-deck: CocoMolé Ale

Pröst!

Bill
Brewmaster

Re: August 2013 Tasting: Imperial IPA

#2 Post by Bill » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:15 am

Figures, I haven't been to a guild meeting in over a year, and the IIPA tasting would be a great reason to go, but we are leaving for Great Taste on Thursday!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Frank » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:23 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lawrenc ... 921889458/
Angelo M. Ruiz wrote:It's Official! August meeting has been moved to Wednesday the 14th at the usual place and time.
viewtopic.php?f=9&p=23925#p23925
LocoBrew wrote:Meeting date for August has moved to Wednesday the 14th at the same place and time.
https://www.facebook.com/LawrenceBrewer ... 7079934703
Lawrence Brewers Guild wrote:The LBG August meeting has been moved from Aug. 8 to Wednesday, Aug. 14. See you there!
http://lawrencebrewers.org/wp/
LawrenceBrewers.org wrote:Image
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Bill
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Bill » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks Frank! I did eventually find that post.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us