JWL Closed

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

JWL Closed

#1 Post by Pentaquark » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:47 pm

I don't know how many people knew or care but JWL on 15th closed down. Kinda crappy for me, they were my grain mill!

Anyway, are Bacchus and HomebrewProShoppe the only other stores around?
-Allen

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: JWL Closed

#2 Post by Frank » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:42 pm

There was a pretty long discussion on FB about this a few days ago.

There are lots of stores around.

http://www.brewlabkc.com/

A new place in Topeka opening up in October.

There are several on the Missouri side to. Grain2Glass, Apex, E.C.Kraus...

Also, I am more then happy to help you mill grain and I keep a lot on hand for sell. 2-row, Pils, Wheat, C-120, Munich, Munich-60, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley, Victory, Vienna.... Finally taking advantage of the group's bulk buying can help reduce trips to the shop.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#3 Post by Pentaquark » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Do I need an invite to the group on Fb?
-Allen

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Frank » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

overdrive
Little Beer

#5 Post by overdrive » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:42 pm

FYI, I'm not sure about the other Hombrew shops around, but I tried taking some of my grain to Bacchus to be milled. Since I was buying some of their grain as well, it didn't even occur to me that it could be a problem, but they said that they can't mill outside grain due to health department restrictions. I don't know how other shops get away with it - maybe it's a local restriction, and not state-wide? Regardless, if you're needing grain milled, you'll have to look elsewhere...

~Dean
Dean Wilson

JMcG
Brewmaster

#6 Post by JMcG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Typical of their customer service, IMO.
jim

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by Frank » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:44 pm

I mill is always available. I have milled grain for someone as late as 10pm
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#8 Post by Pentaquark » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 am

I went to Brew Lab yesterday. Not a crazy huge selection of grains but very decent and good prices. Good selection of yeast and hops too but they buy the hops in bulk and repackage in clear vacuum seal bags. Probably not the best for long term storage.
-Allen

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#9 Post by Rob Martin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 am

Pentaquark wrote:I went to Brew Lab yesterday. Not a crazy huge selection of grains but very decent and good prices. Good selection of yeast and hops too but they buy the hops in bulk and repackage in clear vacuum seal bags. Probably not the best for long term storage.
I suggested repackaging hops like this to JWL early on and they ignored it. Typical retail is 100% markup. If they followed this lead, I was able to buy hops cheaper per ounce when purchased by the pound from Hops Direct then they could buy their prepackaged 1, 2 or 4 oz hops. If done properly, there really should be little shelf life loss.

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#10 Post by Pentaquark » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 am

I was always under the belief that oxygen and UV radiation were the main contributors to decreased shelf life of hops. Are you saying that the UV is not a huge concern to begin with or them being stored at the back of a store, in an opaque-sided fridge reduces this risk?
-Allen

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#11 Post by Rob Martin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm

What I'm saying is the JWL's supply chain was choking the sh.t out of them. When I can acquire hops cheaper than they can acquire them...not sell them, but acquire them before they begin to turn a profit, they have a procurement problem. This was just the hops.

Then when you went to the grain, the 3x I went into their store, I had more grain available in my basement then they did on their shelves.

And then the yeast....only 1x out of 3 they had the yeast I was needing. One time they were out I was looking for a simple American Ale yeast, nothing fancy.

About the repackaging of hops, no, clear bags should not be used. However, most freezers don't keep the light on indefinitely, so if you do repackage them in clear bags, vacuum seal them, and then keep them in the dark, the little adverse affect is significantly less than paying 2-4x in cost.

I'm not saying I vacuum seal my hops, but if you are trying to turn a profit when the majority of your regular users are price-knowledgable (i.e. LBG), you figure out a way to reduce your costs. They alienated the large-consumption LBG members nearly the day they opened their doors and kept on doing so until many lost patience with them.

JWL was unwilling to listen to their consumers. The only ones that get away with that and stay in business is our government.

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#12 Post by Pentaquark » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Oh, sure. JWL had massive problems, no doubt. Their yeast selection, my biggest complaint, was absolutely atrocious and wildly out of date. I purchased a 3638 a few weeks ago that was from March!

Also, where is your basement and when do you generally leave for the day for long periods of time?
-Allen

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#13 Post by Rob Martin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Ah, yes...since I've stopped handling the grain buys, my own grain supply has been coming down to more manageable (read reasonable) levels.

I'm sure Frank can hook you up.