Hop Cold Brew Coffee

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

What do you think of the Hop Cold Brew at Alchemy Coffee?

Use more hops.
100%
Use less hops.
No votes
Should use a different type of hop.
No votes

Total votes: 3

tombastian

Hop Cold Brew Coffee

#1 Post by tombastian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 am

Looking to get some feedback on a project I've been helping out with over at Alchemy Coffee (19th and Mass). Our first batch of cold brewed coffee with hops is available and I'm looking to this group for some feedback. We used Simcoe this time around. There are two versions available right now with the only difference being the amount of hops used. If you happen to get in to try some let me know if you think it needs more or less hops and if you think a differently variety would work out better.

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hop Cold Brew Coffee

#2 Post by Frank » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am

They posted this last night on FB. I was planning to stop by today (hopefully). Thanks, I was about to ask them what hops were used.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Matt
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Sounds like something I need to try, and something that I might have to do a story on. Is this a regular thing, or just a temporary experiment?

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

tombastian

#4 Post by tombastian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 pm

If people dig it...a regular thing. We sure like it.

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Frank » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Got some on my way home from class today.

Talked to Ben about the process.

I got the "Double" which is really just brew strength hopping. The "Single" is cut with a little non-hopped cold brew.

I found it to be tasty. There is a little hop aroma and hop citrus flavor to the coffee but not as bitter as Ben would describe it to be. I realize bitter is often a bad quality in coffees but I could have used a little more hop assertiveness from something labeled "Hopped". Over all I thought it was a great use for hops. I have experienced what raw hops smell/taste like and I think the majority of people wouldn't pick up much of the delicate hop that is there. For me it is very satisfying to be able to pick it out and appreciate it. Good work.

Then I had a Free State Cloud Hopper (just as a frame of reference).
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

tombastian

#6 Post by tombastian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Glad you got to try it and appreciate the feedback. I have a hard time with figuring out exactly how to go about it since I love aggressively hopped beers and that may not be what people want in there coffee. Wait until you try the red ale I plan to bring on Thursday to the meeting!

I did a side by side with the hopped version and the non-hopped version and the bitterness to me was exactly the same. I don't think the bitterness is coming from the hops. Not a whole lot of heat involved to pull the bitterness out of the hops when you are talking cold brewed coffee.

As far as the aroma goes, without the carbonation pushing the hop aroma out its a little harder to really get a lot out of the aroma. What I really liked was the hop profile on the flavor. That is where I think the hop addition really complimented the cold brewed coffee.

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by Frank » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Yea I was talking to Ben about isomerization (sp?) point. The hops are pretty delicate in the coffee I think the vast majority of customers would miss it. I don't now that a little more would hurt.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

tombastian

#8 Post by tombastian » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Was also helping out with a Draught Cold Brew project over at Alchemy. It's available now. Basically it's cold brew pushed with nitrogen through a traditional nitro stout faucet. Kind of interesting what the nitrogen faucet does to the cold brew. Would be cool to get some homebrewers feedback on it so if you get a chance to try it out let me know what you think. If it does well we plan to have the hop brew available on "Draught" as well.