Keezer builds? Bring me your pics and ideas!

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

JayHawkeBrewer
Homebrewer

Keezer builds? Bring me your pics and ideas!

#1 Post by JayHawkeBrewer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am

I'm looking to start building a keezer soon, and was looking for ideas and pictures of what you guys have out there!

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keezer builds? Bring me your pics and ideas!

#2 Post by Frank » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:55 am

In no particular order.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#3 Post by Pentaquark » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 pm

I have a similar setup to the first two pics but with 2x4s for the collar and a 15 ft^3 freezer. I like it a lot, I'm able to keep 4 kegs, 1 carboy and lots and lots of bottles cold, all at once. I don't have the multi-pressure system though.
-Allen

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Sláinte! » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 pm

I have a kegerator; I posted a photo of my setup on the Guild's Facebook page. It was posted back on January 28th so you'll have to scroll down a while to find it. It's a side by side fridge with custom shelves that are covered in galvanized steel.
Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tap: Scottish Export 80
Primary: Empty
Secondary/Lagering: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cherry-Infused Bourbon Barrel Porter, '100' American Barleywine, Midas Touch Clone II, Doppelsticke Altbier

Matt
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Matt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:49 pm

There's one pic that illustrates very clearly why you should never use long tap handles on a top-freezer refrigerator. Or if you must, plan accordingly and lower your shanks to accommodate them.

Because, inevitably, some idiot you didn't invite to your after-hours will, without fail, try to open the freezer door without thinking (likely because he's already wasted), effectively opening both taps in the process, pouring beer all over your floor.

Trust me... it does happen. Don't ask me how I know.

Or how much you'll grumble and growl about the incredible Bourbon Barrel Stout that he's unceremoniously spilled all over your floor, creating a sticky mess that requires moving the kegerator and other furniture to really get cleaned up, and permanently ruining your carpets, all while he stands there, stupidly wondering why his pants are getting wet, and why the freezer door wouldn't open further.

(Of course, you'll cry as much over the wasted incredible beer as the stained carpets, and promptly eject the sonofabitch from your party.)

Fortunately there's a simple solution -- a set of nice chrome shortie tap handles look slick as hell, and won't block the freezer door. Besides, YOU made the beer in those taps. Why put someone else's name on them? Be proud of your work and find another cool way to label them.

So I guess the lesson is thus: Don't build your keezer/kegerator with design flaws that YOU know you'll successfully navigate. Design it to be drunken-idiot proof as well. Because we've all got one in our lives sometime.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#6 Post by Pentaquark » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Wow, that was....long. And personal.

Thanks for sharing Matt, I hope you got that off your chest.
-Allen

Matt
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Matt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Meh. I'm just verbose. (Except when I'm not.)
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Sláinte!
Homebrewer

#8 Post by Sláinte! » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Oh man, that would most certainly suck. Good eye on that photo, Matt.

To add to Matt's grumblings: Another thing that sucks - and I have done this on more than one occasion - is when you install a freshly cleaned faucet, hook it up to a keg, and receive the unpleasant greeting of instant beer flow. :oops:

Gotta make sure those faucets are fully closed when hooking up the fluid fittings...
Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tap: Scottish Export 80
Primary: Empty
Secondary/Lagering: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cherry-Infused Bourbon Barrel Porter, '100' American Barleywine, Midas Touch Clone II, Doppelsticke Altbier