Let's talk Partigyle

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

kevputo
Homebrewer

Let's talk Partigyle

#1 Post by kevputo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Santa brought me a bigger cooler/mash tun, so I'm thinking about doubling up on my next brew day.

I need to crunch the numbers, but my initial thought is to make 4-5 gallons of double IPA with first wort, then add in some dark malt & get close to 10 gallons of lower gravity porter or stout from the leftover sugars.

Anybody out there with experience & tips to offer?
Kevin Hansen

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Let's talk Partigyle

#2 Post by Frank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Locobrew (Angelo) has done one or two of these. I'd love to stop by on the brew day.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

ParkerBrew
Homebrewer

#3 Post by ParkerBrew » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:22 am

I have tried doing several of these, but with 10 gal higher gravity and 5 gal lower gravity. Really watch for over extraction, my first few had an astringent taste because of it. I also found that steeping specialty Malts (Crystal XX, etc) after the mash instead of adding them to the mash helps me know when my base malt is getting close to over extraction. Make sure you plan out sparge water if you don't normally have the capacity to do 15 gal batches. Sounds like you'll need a big cooler or hot liquor tank.

kevputo
Homebrewer

#4 Post by kevputo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 am

Interesting. If I steep post-mash, that would allow me to make the 1st/big beer something dark, then have something like a pale from the second runnings.

Regarding over extraction, do I just need to make sure the gravity doesn't get too low? I read somewhere it's best to stop lautering if it drops to 1.012. Is there any other warning sign to watch for?

For sparge water, I'll have a 10g drink cooler (my old MT) so I'm hoping that's enough. But yeah, between that & shuffling pots around my 1 burner it's going to be a bit of a logistical challenge.
Kevin Hansen

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:06 am

I always cap the tun with character malts before I start my second running's. Helps add complexity to your second beer. I also will stop my first running's around 1.030 depending on what styles of beer I'm making and if/any sugar I will add to my second beer. Either way no lower than 1.030 is a good jump off point. As far as not enough sparge water for your second beer you can always add to the HLT and heat back up to sparge temps while boiling the first beer. If I am not going to run dual boils I will run my second running's into buckets then gravity feed the wort into the boil kettle when I'm ready. I prefer to run dual boils for time savings. But that requires your A game and more equipment.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Frank » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 am

Sounds like you'll need a second or third burner. Mine are free if you'd like.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

kevputo
Homebrewer

#7 Post by kevputo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Frank - I may take you up on that offer. Are you around this weekend? It's looking like a Sunday brew-day right now.

I did a little strategizing over lunch and it looks like it's possible to pull this off with 1 burner. But having a second burner should shave at least half an hour off of the brew day and will definitely give more flexibility for controlling the second mash.

It will also be a circus managing hop additions for overlapping boils, so that will be entertaining for anybody who happens to stop by.

I'll post my address & other details in the social brew days thread in the members section.
Kevin Hansen

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Frank » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 pm

I would suggest measuring everything out the day prior. Putting the hops in Ziploc bags labeled by batch and addition time.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

ParkerBrew
Homebrewer

#9 Post by ParkerBrew » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:21 pm

I'd plan to keep a few pounds of DME on hand to put into the second batch.
Next Brew: IIPA 3.6, SIPA 1.7, Choc Stout 3.4 - Sep 9
Fermenting: Barley Wine 1.2
Conditioning: 1Red Rye Ale, Berliner Weisse 1.1, SIPA 1.6
On Tap: IPA 2.8, Matilda Clone 1.1, Choc Stout 3.3, Soda Water

Cheers, Matt Parker

kevputo
Homebrewer

#10 Post by kevputo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 am

So I figured I should report back on how this went. In short, it worked very well with just a couple of minor hickups: a boil-over & stuck sparge.

For my initial mash, I had just under 30# of grain, mostly 2-row, with some Caramunich 60 - this was for the Double-IPA portion. I wanted to be sure I collected 6 gallons from first runnings, so I mashed thin to keep from coming up too short on volume. While this mash was resting, I was heating sparge water for the 2nd batch.

I collected 6 gallons as planned, with some liquid left over in the MT. So I erred on the conservative side with my absorption calculation, but the pre-boil gravity still came out to nearly 1.090, WAY above my target.

After collecting first runnings I added some oats, Chocolate Malt and Black Roasted Barley to the MT, and loaded it back up with water, while the first batch was heating up to a boil. But before I finished getting everything stirred in to the re-mash, batch 1 came up to a violent boil and puked all over the garage floor. Since the gravity was so high to start with I decided to add 4 qts of water back to it, lowering the gravity but trying to keep a full 5 gallon batch volume.

While collecting 2nd runnings, I had a stuck-sparge about halfway through, either from using too many oats or me trying to run it too fast. So things got a little hectic at this point with 1 pot boiling, another heating the 2nd runnings I'd collected so far, a stuck mash, and me stacking storage containers to make a 3rd tier to be able to underlet via gravity feed. The underletting worked, and the tower didn't come crashing down. Ended up with ~7.5gallons from the 2nd runnings, with gravity of about 1.060.

I did a 2nd sparge to get my target pre-boil volume for batch 2. The lowest the gravity got was 1.035, above Andy's suggestion of 1.030, so I didn't need to use the backup DME.

Batch 1 was done boiling & started chilling at roughly the same time that batch 2 started boiling. From that point, it was easy going with just one pot to babysit.

Key Lessons Learned:
  • My efficiency was better than expected, maybe because I was used to doing pretty thick mashes in my smaller MT?
  • The second burner was extremely helpful. Big thanks to Frank for letting me borrow his.
  • Measuring out hops & other ingredients ahead of time was a big help as well.
  • A refractomer is very handy. Thanks Santa!
  • I should have anticipated the need to underlet my mash and set up a shelf or something else for a 3-tier system ahead of time.
  • I'd estimate that splitting this batch & making 15 gallons added only about an hour over what it would typically take me to make a 10 gallon batch.
At the end of the day, I was left with a pretty big mess including a sticky garage floor, but I also had 5 gallons of DIPA @ 1.078 OG, and 10 gallons of Oatmeal Stout @ 1.054. So I'll call it a win. I'll definitely be doing this again.
Kevin Hansen