When to Add Honey to a Honey Wheat (All grain)?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

derhul

When to Add Honey to a Honey Wheat (All grain)?

#1 Post by derhul » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Brew: 5 gallon-All Grain Honey Wheat

I've done about 3 extract honey wheats in the past. And I've never been happy with the "honey flavor" in the beer...partly cause i always followed the recipe and added during boil.

Now, that I've moved on to all grain...I wanna try and get a more pronounced honey flavor (though...not too sweet!!)

I'm thinking about adding a pound of honey during the secondary fermentation stage....and not at all during the boil process.

Any thoughts??

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When to Add Honey to a Honey Wheat (All grain)?

#2 Post by Frank » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:44 am

I have added honey with good results by adding to the primary fermenter at high krausen. No need to "stir" it in the action of fermentation will disperse the honey around and it has no problem dissolving. Finally there is some "debate" about will adding honey potentially infect the beer. I have always said absolutely not, honey is extremely hygroscopic and there is only one microorganism, that I know of, that can survive it honey. It is no danger to beer.

I believe in most cases "secondary fermentation" is a waste of time, labor, and adds another opportunity for oxidization or infection. More over, what most (like 99%) people call "secondary fermentation" isn't that. What they are really doing is storing/aging in a second vessel like a "bright tank".
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

derhul

Re: When to Add Honey to a Honey Wheat (All grain)?

#3 Post by derhul » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks Frank!!!

k...so I'll try adding to primary