Dry hopping with pellets question

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

Dry hopping with pellets question

#1 Post by Dale Wheeler » Mon May 05, 2014 8:07 am

Considering dry hopping with pellets instead of whole hops. Any feedback/advise such as: do I use the same weight ounce to ounce? More or less contact time? Should I contain the pellets in a mesh bag?
I'll dry hop at the end of primary, then go straight to serving keg (no secondary).
Dale Wheeler

usdtc00
Little Beer

Re: Dry hopping with pellets question

#2 Post by usdtc00 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 am

Dale Wheeler wrote:Considering dry hopping with pellets instead of whole hops. Any feedback/advise such as: do I use the same weight ounce to ounce? More or less contact time? Should I contain the pellets in a mesh bag?
I'll dry hop at the end of primary, then go straight to serving keg (no secondary).

Keeping them out of the keg is a problem; I would use a bag to contain them. However, I've never done any research regarding flavor differences. Be prepared to clean the keg post or, if the post cant' be removed like newer kegs, backflush the dip tube. You could also put a screen around the dip tube to try and block debris, but you could end up with foamy beer from this too as the liquid tries to pass through the hop mess.

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

Re: Dry hopping with pellets question

#3 Post by Joe Yoder » Mon May 05, 2014 10:52 am

I am using a bag these days, after years of clogged fittings, etc. I use approximately the same amount as with leaf, just because I don't know any better. Also you can rig a pretty simple filter to filter particles out when you keg. I have a very small water filter that works great for that.
Joe