Hop growing question

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Ace
Craft Brewer

Hop growing question

#1 Post by Ace » Tue May 06, 2014 7:52 pm

So my 3 varietals of Hops are coming up for the 4th season, and already some are above my head. There's a shoot that grows out of the V between leaf and bine that I usually wind around that bine. Should I cut those to encourage bigger growth on my 3 bines?

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

Re: Hop growing question

#2 Post by Rugger1978 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 am

Everything I read says that you want to cut all of early spring bines first week of May. Then select 2 to 3 bines of the new growth to climb the lines. The goal is not to have bines climbing the lines till late May. Apparently the later bines tend to produce more healthier hop cones.

Saying that, I this year cut all my bines on my second year growth hops this past week. I have to admit, it was a little disconcerting, lol.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Joe Yoder » Thu May 08, 2014 9:52 am

I wonder if that advice is more for cooler growing climates. If you cut everything back until late May, I think you may have trouble with the crop burning up before it gets to a decent size. Disclaimer: I have no real knowledge, I am just making a guess based on weather differences between here and traditional hop growing regions. If you want real knowledge, you may want to talk to the girls at the Moon on the Meadow stand at the Lawrence Farmers Market. They got a grant to grow hops here and did a lot of research into it. They are located at the southeast corner of the west parking lot in the market every Saturday morning. They are also selling rhyzomes, though I don't remember what varieties.
Joe

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#4 Post by Rugger1978 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Well, they say cut first week in may which would allow the later bines to grow to the point that by mid to lat May they would be climbing. So far my cascade plant has already bounced back and I see wrapping them on my line in probably late next week. Same with my Mt. Hood and Tettnang. My centennial hop seems to be weak so we'll see on it.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider

Ace
Craft Brewer

#5 Post by Ace » Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm

I did see those girls, Joe.. they're selling Zeus and another I can't remember, mostly cuz I think I don't like it.

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#6 Post by Pentaquark » Sun May 11, 2014 4:22 pm

I've already purchased Galena and Zeus from those ladies and I saw Nugget and Mt. Hood as well plus some 'mystery' hops that weren't labeled.
-Allen

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#7 Post by Rugger1978 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 am

FYI, as discussed above I cut all my bines the first week in May and I can say the later bines have been much hardier and already half way up my twine, lol. My centennial hop is still the weakest of the bunch so maybe not cutting it back could be useful.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

#8 Post by Pentaquark » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:18 am

I haven't ever cut my initial bines but my centennial already has 5-6 bines up to my roof and is sprouting hops. I may have to take this harvest soon.
-Allen