May 2014 Tasting: Pale Lager

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

dbüscher
Homebrewer

May 2014 Tasting: Pale Lager

#1 Post by dbüscher » Tue May 06, 2014 10:25 pm

PaleLight AmericanLager

This month's tasting is by request. We had some interest in the 2014 Tastings Discussion thread for some lagers, specifically Pilsners and Maibocks (for May), so I lumped them into one category: Pale Lagers.

I plan to give this tasting myself, unless Trogdor decides to BURNiNATE the peasants on or before Thursday, in which case Sir Tucker has agreed to take the reins and rain down a golden shower of pale lager all up in this bitch.

Aside from the similarity in color, the examples I’ve chosen are fairly distinctive. The one recurring theme that I find distinguishes pale lagers is that pro brewers and homebrewers alike attest to the fact that it takes some skill to craft a high quality beer true to style, particularly when there are not a lot of strong specialty malts, spices, or high alpha hops to hide behind.

See you Thursday!

Pröst!
On-tap: Holy Hop Grenade, Coffee Amber Ale, Coco(a)nut Ale, Cracked Pepper Hibiscus Belgian, Doppelbach, Sidney Portier, American Barleywine

Lagering/Conditioning: Munich Dunkel, AAB Maibock, Brett Rye IPA, Russian Imperial Stout

On-deck: CocoMolé Ale

Pröst!

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

Re: May 2014 Tasting: Pale Lager

#2 Post by Pentaquark » Wed May 07, 2014 8:26 pm

...really? Golden shower? We're all just gonna leave that one hanging?
-Allen