Honey locust beer?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

Honey locust beer?

#1 Post by Rob Martin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm mind numb from a long week at work. A claim I was working on came from Locust Grove, GA. I'm thinking, 'who in the hell plants a grove of locusts' after I've gouged myself more than once playing disc golf near them. So I started researching it.

Never heard of this:

Food
Despite its name, the honey locust is not a significant honey plant. The name derives from the sweet taste of the legume pulp, which was used for food by Native American people, and can also be fermented to make beer. The long pods, which eventually dry and ripen to brown or maroon, are surrounded in a tough, leathery skin that adheres very strongly to the pulp within. The pulp—bright green in unripe pods—is strongly sweet, crisp and succulent in unripe pods. Dark brown tannin-rich beans are found in slots within the pulp.

Then found a recipe

Most importantly, I am told – though I have not yet been brave enough to try it – that the following recipe yields a palatable beer. With any luck, I’ll be drunkenly typing the results of my experiments to you in the weeks to come.
Honey Locust Beer Recipe
Ingredients:
Long black honey locust pods (number depends on how big of a crock or keg is being used).
Ripened persimmons or sliced apples (number same as above)
2 cups of molasses
Water
Break the locust pods into pieces. Place a layer in a keg or crock. Add the persimmons or apples. Cover with boiling water. Add two cups of molasses. Let stand for three for four days before using.

mymead
Homebrewer

Re: Honey locust beer?

#2 Post by mymead » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:55 pm

They use to use they as natural cow and horse fencing. Plus in winter it was a good feed for live stock.

Do you have enough pods? I know where there is a few trees.

Primary: Empty.....
Secondary: orange camille mead
Bottle Conditioning: Peach Melomel
On Tap: Very berry mead

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Rob Martin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:14 am

I don't think I'm interested in making it. It was more of a surprise to read it.

Ace
Craft Brewer

#4 Post by Ace » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:19 am

Besides.. where would you even find persimmons?

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#5 Post by Joe Yoder » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:02 am

There are a few persimmon trees on KU campus. You can also purchase them at Checkers during certain times of the year. I have seen them at the farmers market. Be sure they are completely ripe, though. An unripe persimmon will take all of the moisture out of your mouth. Pucker up!
A ripe persimmon is very soft and can be very sweet.
That said, I can't say that I would try making that beer. If you can call it beer?? Where are the hops?? The horror!!
Joe

Ace
Craft Brewer

#6 Post by Ace » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 am

Can't even call it a malt beverage!