beer line questions

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

beer line questions

#1 Post by Greenblood » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:44 am

Ok, So I am planning to build a new kegerator/bar in my home, and I have a few questions.

There seems to be an agreement among guild members as well as others that an ideal beer line is 5ft of 3/16" beverage tubing. I am in on the bulk order. I am not entirely sure I understand why 3/16" is the best, but I am confident is has to do with some science involving pressure, and resistance, so I am content with not fully understanding it.

I assume that if I am using 3/16" bev line, then I need to be using a shank with a 3/16" bore. Is that correct? What are the disadvantages to using a shank with a 1/4" bore? I ask this because, I intend to use all Stainless shanks in the new bar. Micromatic.com has 2" SS shanks with 1/4" bore for $16 Northernbrewer.com has 4" SS shanks with 3/16 bore for $29.95. Quite a price difference, and a bit longer than I want. If I can get a way with 1/4" bore with little ill effects, I would like to do so.

Any input would be appreciated.

cheers

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."