Introductions - Start here!

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#16 Post by cyburai » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:12 am

Welcome Gordon! You should try and come over to one of our meetings. Feb will be a good one..
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

jeffy

#17 Post by jeffy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:51 pm

Howdy, my name is Jeff Gill. I'm a Hall of Foamer that enjoys the forum discussion.

Happy Brewing!

Bill
Brewmaster

#18 Post by Bill » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:17 pm

Welcome Jeff... always up for more discussions!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

alex

#19 Post by alex » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:18 pm

Hey all.. My name is alex and I am from lawrence, just brewed my first batch (Amber Ale) and am looking to chat with local brewers. :D

heres a pic of my first brew

wlockwood
Homebrewer

intro

#20 Post by wlockwood » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:09 pm

My name is will lockwood, i moved here in august from virginia.
i started home brewing about 10 years ago (but have only made about 5 or 6 batchs) it may have started when my wife gave me a copy of "The new complete joy of..."
Ive done only extracts w/ adjuncts.
I am hoping to brew from grain and keg.
I am very happy that their is such a thriving home brew group, it is a good thing. and for me has really inspired me to start brewing more.

Thank you to all the members

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#21 Post by cyburai » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:27 pm

All these new people.. Welcome all.. Hope you have a good time tasting different beers and such. And learning how to make them.

It's interesting to go back and read some of the early stories, specially the ones that were just starting to brew. Now look at them.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

The lord of the mead

#22 Post by The lord of the mead » Thu May 15, 2008 8:27 am

Hi, my name is Chris.

I was born in Berlin, Germany. In the good (west) side in the former American sector.

From Oktober 2006 til February 2007 I worked at KU and I met some of you guys at 23rd street brewery in January.

Since beer drinking is legal in Germany at the age of 14 and is still very popular here, I became a professional brewer in 1998 and brewmaster in 2001.
But I didn't find a good job in Germany so I decided to study biotechnology and I hope I'll be finishing this fall.

I started a little company where I brew mainly mead in over 20 varieties. My website is already translated in English but IK didn't make it yet to integrate the English version yet.

Beers I've mainly been brewing German style beers such as Pilsner type or Bock. I've also brewed a honey beer which was rather strong. Approx. 16-18? P.

However, I've been to the states a lot of times since my parents used to live there for seven years. My father was a professor at Notre Dame university. So I've been to most states expept Alaska and Hawai and some of the smaller Northeastern states.

I hope to get back to Lawrence next year to start my PhD at KU.

Yeah, that's all for the moment.

Christopher

BourbonDrinker
Craft Brewer

#23 Post by BourbonDrinker » Thu May 15, 2008 9:02 am

My name is Devin. I'm not formally a member of the Guild yet, but I plan on paying my dues when I can make it to a meeting soon. I haven't made much beer yet, but I plan to make a lot in the near future.

In my social life, I've begun to cross paths with many guild members. Sean and Sherry are good friend's with my wife's Uncle Mark, and I run into them every month or so at a party at Mark's place. Jeff Jensen is also a friend of many of my acquantences---as well as the proprieter of the best bourbon whiskey store in Lawrence. Chris Stenger (spelling) works with my wife and talked a lot with my wife about home brew. And my friend Frank knows John Monaghan, and has mentioned John's brewing and mead exploits to me numerous times (my wife also knows John from high school). Not to mention, other members of the guild I've crossed paths with at Mark and SJ's parties!

I figure with all of these brew guild, connections, plus my appreciation for beer, and the fact that I've been brewing, means it's about time I join the guild.

I made my first beer in 2000 with a Mr. Beer kit my brother got me for Christmas. One batch and that was enough for me---not the best stuff---and not worth all the work in my opinion. I always kept the Mr. beer jug around thinking I might try it again when I have more time than sense.

Fast forward to June 2007. My lovely wife, Laura, got me supplies and a recipe (Thanks to her coworker Chris Stenger --- spelling might be wrong) that I made using the Mr. Beer jug. Wow!!! So much better! I was hooked. Christmas of 2007 she got me the Deluxe home brew kit from Norther Brewer and I made a Dry Irish Stout!!! Now I was REALLY hooked. Damn good stuff that has all but turned me off to most domestic beers! I now have a batch of Honey Weizen in the secondary and will brew a Bourbon Barrel Porter this weekend! Can't wait to try making more!

I doubt I'll ever get beyond brewing 5 gallon batches on my stove top, and chilling the wort in the kitchen sink, but that's enough to keep me well stocked on beer for a long while!

My main interest is Bourbon Whiskey. I run the internets thrid largest bourbon discussion web-site (http://www.BourbonDrinker.com) and love the brown liquid. (The joke is that there are only 3 bourbon only discussion web-sites on the web). I doubt beer will ever replace bourbon as my main interest, but I'll definitely try to enjoy both!
Devin Zell
Head Drinker, BourbonDrinker.com

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#24 Post by Greenblood » Thu May 15, 2008 10:10 am

Welcome Devin! I don't know if we have been formerly introduced or not, but I of course remember Lori, and Frank mentions you both often. Excellent choice of spirit to obsess over. I lean more toward scotch, but a good bourbon certainly does hit the spot for me occasionally. Congrats on catching the brewing bug, and I hope to see you at a meeting soon!
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

grasshopper

#25 Post by grasshopper » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:35 pm

Hello all! K Meisel here, wife of one Mr. Lee Meisel, guild members. As most of you know, we brew all-grain. I've perused the forums quite a bit before but never got a username of my own, so I thought I'd identify myself.

K
K Meisel

Strange Brew

fergmeister
Brewmaster

Ya Mon

#26 Post by fergmeister » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:20 pm

Chuck Chuck bo buck..........
Homebrewer, Fabricator, Consumer, Hophead. Member of the guild since 2002. Started with Mr. Beer and got involved with Ms. Alberta and Mr. Head duck. Elected Pres this term. Began the HERMS revolution in the Guild. Make Big Beer. Occasionally amnisiotic. Make up words. Overconsume hops. My BU/GU are never in ballance. Life begins @ 60 OG. Been married to Wendy for 22 years this Brewfest. Interweb illiterate. Believe the Guild is the sum of our members. Have been known to talk alot. :occasion5:

:love4: Andy
Opportunity favors the prepared mind

shane
Craft Brewer

#27 Post by shane » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:24 pm

welcome to Earth Chuck. glad to have you. (amy)

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

#28 Post by Melonmon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi there,

Ellen here. Jeff Jensen is my husband. (He kicked me off his forum login and made me get my own, so here I am). We have been members of the Guild since its inception (minus a short hiatus). I remember sitting around Bob's brew shop on 8th talking about starting a homebrew club, and look where we are now. Who'd have thunk it?

Jeff and I used to brew together, but we found we got along better when we didn't, so in the interest of saving our marriage, we broke up Elff Brewing Co. I now brew with Xan (Pissytiffy), and Jeff brews with Clint. Xan and I are extract brewers, and we often do a mini-mash.

Jeff and Clint are far more prolific brewers than Xan and I, but we have picked up the pace a bit lately. We have brewed four batches in the last couple of months, a couple of apricot ales, a bitter and our infamous Arachnid Chocolate Porter, which is in the secondary now. Ooh la la.

Take care,

Ellen

RecklessDeck

#29 Post by RecklessDeck » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Hello,

My name is Robert Decker and I have been brewing for about a year now. I was taught to brew all grain from the beginning, and after doing some extract, I found I really prefer mashing. I am on my 8th or 9th batch now and I am getting to the point where I am working on refining my brewing process and trying to do some really good beers. Areas that I need to improve on are my mashing procedures and I have been having clarity issues. I am gonna come out to the next meeting, so maybe I will see you all soon.

grasshopper

#30 Post by grasshopper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Hello Robert, good to have you!
K Meisel

Strange Brew